When it comes to canker sores, it is imperative to note that you can easily get rid of them using home based, medical or herbal based remedies even though how they develop is not yet known. However, you need to identify the type that you have in order to use the best remedy for it. Keep reading to learn of the home remedies that can be used to help with canker sores. Remember, you should always consult with your physician in order to get a proper diagnosis and before trying to incorporate these home remedies yourself!
- Goldenseal or Calendula Tea- Use either of these to make tea by pouring 1 cup of boiling water over 1 or 2 teaspoons of dried herb and let it steep for 10 minutes. Strain it to leave the liquid alone and use this to gurgle. It is an effective and reliable way of treating canker sores. This tea should be used 3 to 4 times daily for effective results.
- Cankerroot or Goldthread- The plant got its name due to the ability to treat canker sores. It was largely used by early settlers and American Indians to make tea for the purpose of treating not only canker sores but sore throats as well. The root of the plant can be chewed also for treatment purposes.
- Myrrh- It contains high tannins amount and when powdered, it is an effective herbal remedy. Herbalists suggest a mixture of 200 to 300 mg herbal extract mixed in warm water should be swished around the mouth 2 to 3 times a day. Alternatively, you can also open the capsule dab the powder directly on the sores.
- Tea- Regular tea is also high in tannins and you should place a used tea bag on the sores to get relief. Alternatively, make tea using herbs that have high tannin such as St John’s wort, Eucalyptus, peppermint, raspberry, bearberry and licorice and gurgle to get relief.
- Sage- Strong sage tea comes in handy in treating inflammations and sores and to make this tea, you should use 2 tsp of herbs per cup of boiling water. Steep it and use the mixture to furgle.
- Chamomile- It has a soothing effect on the mucous membranes and this includes the lining of the mouth. In addition to this, it also has some healing properties and it should be used 3 to 4 times a day.
- Using Wet Black Tea Bag: Take a wet black tea bag and apply it gently to the canker sore. Leave it on the site for some minutes and because the tea bag contains tannic acid, it will help ease the pain while at the same time providing the cure you need.
- Counter Pain Relievers: There are some pain relievers that are sold over the counter and one can use them in alleviating the pain. For instance, there are capsules known as acidophilus which need to be taken 3-4 times a day to provide relief. Others include alcohol, camphor and menthol which come in liquid/gel forms.
- Alum: This is a kind of herbal spice that can be used to apply on the affected area so as to alleviate pain. However, alum may burn especially once applied on the affected area but with time, it will dispel. Later on, you will be required to rinse your mouth with water and you need to repeat this 2-3 times on regular basis.
- Tea Tree Oil: This is a kind of home remedy that you can use in relieving pain caused by canker sores. The best thing is that, this kind of tea contains powerful antibacterial properties which are very effective in curing the sores. All you need to do is to mix 1 part of tea tree oil with about 9 oz. of water then use it as a mouth rinse. Since it works as a disinfectant, using it effectively will provide you with the best results.
- Solution of Salt Water: Among the home remedies for canker sores, using a solution of salt water to rinse your mouth is the most common and the simplest as well. All you need to do is to mix 1 tablespoon of salt with warm water and then use the solution to rinse your mouth as much as you can. To get the best results, you are advised to rinse your mouth with the solution 2-3 times a day and the salt will in turn play a role in drying up the canker sores.
- Baking Soda: You need to use baking soda to rinse your mouth once you have mixed it with about 8 parts of warm water. Gargle the solution gently in your mouth and in turn it will provide you with the relief that you need. If you use this solution effectively throughout the day, the canker sores will wane within twenty four hours.
- Yoghurt: Even though it might sound weird to you, there is no doubt that yoghurt can be used as a remedy for canker sores because it has acidophilus. However, it is important to ensure that it has live cultures first so that it can be most effective in ridding of the sores. It helps in balancing bacteria that is in the mouth and body as well.
- Piece of Onion: Take a small piece of onion and place it gently on the affected site for some minutes. This should directly be placed so that the sores can be provided with the best remedy promoting their healing.
- Liquid Antacids: They have a protective coating which is formed on the sores and this in turn helps in promoting their healing. All you need to do is to swish a little amount in your mouth so as to help ease the pain.
It is important to note that these remedies do not necessarily offer a guarantee of effective results simply because most of them are home based remedies. As such, it is important to consult your doctor as soon as the canker sores persist to be provided with other medical based treatments.