In some parts of Africa and Asia, a certain form of conjunctivitis has come up. It is called trachoma, and is only common in the developing world. It is usually caused by dirty water and is highly contagious. The infection is passed from one person to another by contact with an infected person and also by flies. The best prevention for this is to use clean water. Of course there are other ways of treating it; such as getting antibiotic, but this is only temporary as the disease resurfaces. This recurrence causes worse damage. Note that it is extremely important to prevent this disease as Trachoma is known to be a great and serious cause of blindness around the world. What more can be said of this other than that prevention is better than cure. Ways of preventing pinkeye are listed below:
- Keep your hands and face clean. Be scrupulous about hygiene.
- Do not share personal effects with an infected person. Personal effects to mean things as towels.
- Try to use clean water as much as possible
- To prevent passing of the disease from one eye to another, wash the crust in the eyes with warm saline water and avoid rubbing. By rubbing, the pus and crust may catch the other eye making it infected too.
- Disposable tissue is the best to clean the eye as it avoids further contamination. After treatment, disposing the medication left over.
- Do not share medication or eye makeup.
- Change your bedding often.
- Replace eye makeup often.
Note that since the newborn gets infected from birth, the woman might be the one to be medicated. She is given strong intravenous antibiotics immediately when her labor begins. This is an effective method in the prevention of the mother-to-baby infection.