The treatment of corns is affected by a number of factors. For corns to be treated effectively there is need for extensive analysis. Note that severe corns are not treated in the same way as mild corns. Persistent corns are also not handled in the same manner as occasional corns. Usually, advanced cases of corns are handled effectively by qualified medical personnel but mild and occasional corns can be treated from home.
People who have corns and also suffer from atherosclerosis and diabetes are at higher risk of infection compared to people without these medical conditions.
People with these conditions are advised against treating corns themselves.
Due to the increased risk of infection, such people require specialized medication even when dealing with the mild and inconsistent corns. There are different ways through which people control and or treat corns from home.
One of the common ways is through using a mixture made from certain chemicals.
These include salactic film, lactic acids, salicylic, viranol, and duofilm.
In preparation of the mixtures that are used in the control and treatment of corns, a person is provided with two major options.
Here, the chemicals can be obtained through a prescription or over the counter. Obtaining the chemicals through a prescription is better and more efficient as compared to obtaining these materials over the counter.
Usually, the chemicals that are obtained over the counter to deal with corns are weaker compared to those that come through a prescription.
With this in mind, it becomes much harder for a person using over the counter acids to deal with corns as compared to a person using a prescription to deal with the same case of corns.
Using prescribed acids is also important as it ensures that the course of medication is kept on check throughout. Handling such mixing activities may be armful at times, especially with regards to cases where the person mixing these acids is not knowledgeable of the course of treatment.
Prescription acids are also important as they can be used by any person regardless of any underlying medical complication or age.
Calluses that are cause by physical activities can be controlled through avoiding the specific physical activities that lead to calluses.
As one avoids these activities, the calluses go away eventually. With time, the cessation of these physical activities causes the gradual disappearance of the calluses.
Dissolving the calluses with catalytic agents is also effective in treating and managing calluses. Salicylic acid is also used and this is usually sanded using a pumice stone.
It can also be alternatively filled down using a callus shaver. Another ways is through the paring down which usually takes place through professional guidance.
Foot health practitioners and podiatrist are usually the best professionals with regards to handling these cases.
Medically, there are a number of principles that define the treatment of corns and calluses. The best way to treat a corn is through eliminating the cause or agent of pressure.
This can be done through a number of ways. For instance, padding can be employed to take care of the pressure issue.
Ointments also come in handy with regards to handling the friction or pressure that causes corns and calluses.
Usually, these methods are employed so as to ensure the skin layers are soft and that they become east to remove. This reduces the overall pain in the entire process.
- Willow- The willow herb is composed of compounds called salicylates, which help in pain relief. These compounds also happen to be extremely acidic thus can dissolve corns. Simply place willow bark poultices carefully on the corn itself. Do not place the herb on the surrounding skin as this could cause inflammation.
- Papaya, fig and pineapple- Figs are known to contain enzymes that dissolve proteins and are therefore used to dissolve unwanted growths on the skin. Pineapple and papaya also have these same properties and a combination of the three could be deadly. To use figs, tape its pulp over a corn infection overnight after which you soak in hot water and try removing the corn after an hour.
- Wintergreen- This herb also happens to be a great source of salicylates. Just like with willow, be careful when applying the herb so that you do not trigger skin inflammations. You will have to be very careful when using this herb as its minty smell could easily entice kids. Ingesting relatively small amount of this herb could turn out being fatal.
- Castor oil- Castor oil is thick oil that has been used in herbal treatments for quite some time. Before you turn in, dip a cotton ball in Castor oil, apply it on the affected places and then tape it using some adhesive. It will only take a few days for your corns to be cured by this oil, which is readily available in most drug stores.
- Calendula- One of the products that can also be used to treat corns at home is Calendula. You can purchase the oil or moisturizing cream and regularly apply it on the areas that have been infected with corns. The best part about using Calendula is that you always end up with a long term treatment.