If the patient has an acute cough and have not been to a doctor, he or she may attempt to use over-the-counter cold remedies to relieve the symptoms. If a common cold or flu is suspected, these may provide relief until the infection resolves on its own. Acute coughs that are caused by allergies are often relieved with allergy medication, and coughs due to environmental irritants will respond to elimination of the irritating agent.
Home care of the chronic cough with a known cause is directed at treating the underlying cause of the cough. This should be done in close consultation with a doctor or with a specialist. Although not every chronic cough can be eliminated, many people can find relief of their cough by following their doctor's recommendations closely. Remember, you should always consult with your physician in order to get a proper diagnosis and before trying to incorporate these home remedies yourself! Here are some of the home remedies that you can try.
- White pepper and honey- Honey is one of the most common ingredients in the home treatment of many medical conditions, of which cough is not an exception. Take a teaspoon of honey and mix it with grounded white pepper (a pinch). If you take this mixture about 2-3 times each day. It won't take long before the cough disappears. It should only take about four or five days for you to completely heal.
- Ginger- One of the most widely used herbal remedy happens to be ginger, which is readily available in many homes. Taking tea with ginger added into it some 3-4 times each day will help you overcome cough brought about by cold. You could as well eat raw ginger and the cough will still subside, as long as you can stand the taste.
- Raspberry, ice tea or orange juice with honey- One of the herbal treatments of cough is taking red raspberry with a little honey chuckle. You could also add some honey into liquor ice tea and watch the cold subside in not more than 3 days. Honey can also be mixed with a cup of orange juice as an effective cough treatment.
- Onion, tea, honey- It is hardly surprising that honey is at the center of nearly all cough treatments. You can treat this condition by preparing syrup using Comfrey tea, baked onion juice and honey. Take a a few teaspoons of this mixture throughout your day and the cough will subside in a few days time.
- Black Cohosh- This herb is very popular among women as a woman's botanical. However, what most women aren't aware of is its efficacy in the home treatment of cough. Taking a cup of Black Cohosh before turning in will lessen the always inconvenient night coughs.