Elder Flowers (Sambucus spp)
Elder flowers are an excellent herb that treats a wide range of diseases due to its medicinal properties. It has the best antiviral, anticancer, emetic and depurative properties. Additionally, it contains essential constituents including linolelic acids, triterpenes, palmitic and flavonoids. It is also rich in vitamin C, bio flavonoids, leaves, cyanogenic glycosides, fruit acids, pectin, mucilage and sugar among other constituents that aid in treatments of bruises, sprains, skin irritations and chilblains. Additionally, the herb has excellent healing properties for colic diarrhea, rheumatism and constipation.
- Elder flower has a wide range of constituents that makes it an excellent treatment to many infections.
- It is effective in the treatment of running nose, common cold and sore throat. It also relieves fever, muscle pain and other symptoms of flu.
- The herb is considered a very effective detoxifier. Therefore, it can be used for cosmetic purposes to clear acne spots and acne infections. It is effective in clearing boils and skin rashes.
- Elder flowers contain diaphoretic and cooling properties. These make the flower excellent in the treatment of colds and related conditions. It offers notable results within a period of 3 to 4 days.
- It is an effective herbal remedy for constipation. This is one of the reasons as to why it is commonly used in Europe as a mild laxative.
- The herb has a diuretic effect. Therefore, it helps in the treatment of mild kidney ailments. It also helps to enhance general health of the kidneys.
- Used in the treatment of sinus infection. It has beneficial effects including instant relief from painful sinus and problems in breathing. It is best used with antibiotics.
- The herb is also used to treat high cholesterol. Juice from the flowers as well as elder berry decreases concentration of serum cholesterol in the body. As a result, it increases low density lipoprotein or bad cholesterol levels in the body.
- It is one of the best herbs that is used to boost normal functions of the immune system. The flowers encourage healthy immune reaction against any undesired flu like symptoms.
- The herb also has anti oxidant properties. This is vital because it fights free radicals in the body and prevents diseases such as cancer.
- It has immune enhancing properties against influenza type A and B.
- Elder flowers also contain flavonoids that help to enhance cardiovascular health.
Dosage and Administration
- Elder flowers extract should be taken 5ml for children and 10ml for adults. The extract can be mixed with other juices and taken twice per day.
- Elderflower/elderberry tea: make the tea by boiling 3 to 5 grams of dried flowers in 250ml of boiling water for ten to 15mins. Take your tea 3 times a day for the best results.
- Elder flower bark: use fresh bark 1 teaspoon and add half a cup of boiling. Take one cup a day and a mouthful at a time to clear your symptoms.
- A traditional dose of 3 to 5gms of the lower should be taken 2 to 3 times a day.
- Topical cosmetic preparation fro the eyes and skin can also be used. Sinupret is known to contain powdered elder flower extract per dose.
- Note that elder flower can be used as a tincture, liquid extract, syrups and throat sprays. Ensure to follow the dosage as provided to enhance quality treatment and prevent possible side effects.
- Elder flowers offer instant relief to sinus problems and bronchial infections.
- When used in combination with other herbs it clears off influenza type A and type B. It has potential value on influenza and offers great results within 1 to 2 days.
- Enhances treatment of upper respiratory infections
- The flowers are an excellent source of essential oils, glycosides, triterpenes, fatty acids, antocyan ins, sterols and lectins that help to enhance the health of your liver. These properties help to fight harmful toxins that can cause liver infections among other related conditions.
- Elder flowers also have excellent medicinal properties that help in treatment of bronchitis and asthma. It is diaphoretic and is good when incorporated with herbal mixtures to treat inflammatory diseases, diabetes, nervous condition, neuralgia and other infections.
- When used properly, Elder flowers have no known side effects. However, a few cases of dizziness and stupor when using elder flowers as laxative may occur.
- Nausea and vomiting may also occur
93 total views, 1 views today