In most cases, gastritis symptoms will not correspond to the level of physical damage or changes on the stomach's lining. Nevertheless, diagnosis of this condition can be done using an endoscope. This is a probe that has a camera that is inserted in the stomach. Thus, severe cases of gastritis infections can be diagnosed before it develop severe symptoms. This is because thin probe is capable of viewing minor changes on the lining of the stomach. However, there are symptoms that can be used to diagnose gastritis. They include the following;
- Pain on the upper abdominal region. It usually occurs on the central upper part.
- In most cases, patients will use words such as aching, burning soreness or gnawing in describing the pain. There is also a vague feeling of discomfort with this pain being sharp, cutting or stabbing sometimes.
- This pain may extend to the back upper part of the left abdomen.
- Vomiting and nausea may also occur in some patients. The vomit can be clear, yellow or green. It may also have blood stains or even completely bloody. The amount of the blood ion the vomit will depend on the level of the infection.
- Belching may also occur. This can relieve the patient the pain they may be having for sometimes. There are also cases where belching does not have any impact.
- Burning or even feeling full even when you have not eaten. The burn is usually felt on the upper region of the stomach.
- There are also cases of severe damage on the stomach lining where patients get internal bleeding. In such cases, symptoms such as sweating, pallor, fast heart beat, short breath and even a faint feeling may be experienced.
- Severe stomach or chest pain
- Large amount of blood in the vomit
It is not possible to determine when any of these symptoms can revel itself. However, the kind of gastritis one has will determine which symptom will be seen and when. There are also cases when a large number of these symptoms occur suddenly. Nevertheless, it is important when you detect any of them you seek medical attention immediately.