Genital Warts are just like other sexually transmitted diseases. Most cases of this infection are as a result of human papilloma virus. These affect the top layer of the skin in the genitals. Basically, there are many types of human papilloma virus. There are more than 100 types of HPV virus which can cause warts. However, genital warts results from a small number of strains of the HPV. Nevertheless, this strain though small is very contagious. It can easily be passed from one person to another through contact with the infected part. Types six and eleven are the most common causes of genital warts.
Basically, the major ways through which one can get genital warts include;
- Engaging in sexual intercourse with many partners without using protection.
- Unprotected sex with a person with warts infection.
- Stress and also other viral infections that may occur at the same time
- Engaging in sexual intercourse with persons with unknown sexual history
- People who start having sexual relations at a tender age are also at a greater risk of getting warts infections
- Chances of developing warts are also higher with people with open wounds around their genitals even if they use protection while having sex with an infected person.
Generally, warts will appear after approximately three months of infection. There are also cases where infected persons go for years without any sign. Thus, an individual can be a carrier of this virus for many years.