Even though hiccups are not regarded among medical emergencies, the condition causes a lot of discomfort and lack of concentration. As a result of this, it is important that you arm yourself with some of the remedies that you are able to apply against the disorder in case you are faced with it at any given time. Below are some of the remedies to hiccups that you can have at your disposal for application whenever you are experiencing the disorder: Remember, you should always consult with your physician in order to get a proper diagnosis and before trying to incorporate these home remedies and herbal remedies yourself! Here are some of the home remedies that you can try.
- Holding of breath- There are lots of home care remedies that can be applied on hiccups. One of the most common procedures for hiccups self care at home is holding breath. It is believed that when you hold your breath, there will be a stop to the build-up of carbon dioxide in the blood.
- Drinking water quickly- Drinking water is also another self care procedure that you can use at home. The main reason why it is believed that drinking water is able to alleviate hiccups is that water stimulates the vague nerve that runs from the stomach to the brain.
- Try This- Frightening or surprising the person experiencing hiccups.
- Smelling Salts- Using smelling salts. You can leak small bits of smelling salts when you are having hiccups in order to stop it.
- Dry sugar- Dry sugar is also one of the effective remedies for hiccups and so, when using dry sugar, put a half teaspoon of dry sugar on the back of the tongue repeatedly three times at intervals of two minutes. However, for young children, it is advisable that you use corn syrup instead of sugar.
- Pull the Tounge- Pulling the tongue.
- Water- Take water frequently. It helps to prevent and treat hiccups. You can gaggle water when hiccups occur. More importantly, take your water slowly to avoid choking.
- Yogurt- it is vital to take yogurt (natural and flavored yogurt) and a pinch of salt. It is quite effective in treatment of hiccups. It also helps to prevent the disease
- Fresh ginger- it is very effective in the treatment of hiccups. Suck a fresh ginger piece whenever you have hiccups. Alternatively, add ginger to your tea or to hot water and drink 2 to 3 cups a day for effective treatment of hiccups.
- Ice cubes-suck ice cubes when hiccups occur. It helps to prevent breathing problems and treat hiccups.
- Deep breath- hiccups occur as a result of involuntary contractions in the diaphragm. Therefore, it is essential to take a deep breath to get rid of hiccups.
- Peanut butter- Take a teaspoon of peanut butter when hiccups occur. It is very effective in the treatment of the disease and it also helps to prevent hiccups in small children especially when taking their meals.
- Laugh loud- it is believed that hiccups can be treated effectively by laughing loudly. It stops the problem in an instant.
- Sugar-it helps to stop hiccups. Suck a cube of sugar to prevent and treat hiccups both in children and in adults. You can also take a pinch of sugar when hiccups occur.
- Try to avoid thinking about it- Since hiccups are considered a psychological problem, it is vital to divert your mind to other things whenever it occurs. It helps to prevent breathing problems and treats hiccups efficiently. These remedies are very effective but it is always essential to identify the root cause of the problem to treat hiccups completely
Apart from just the above mentioned, there are other several remedies that can also be applied in addressing hiccups. However, it is always advisable that you seek advice on the best remedy that may be applicable to you as an individual since each and every person is different. You may find out that there are certain remedies that do not work with you. However, in case you are experiencing some of the serious symptoms, it is advisable that you seek medical advice before suing any of the remedies.
The remedies to hiccups should be looked at very sparingly since not all of them are fit for just any kind of person. This is because there are certain remedies that may lead to complications when used on elderly persons with problems in swallowing and certain health problems. Besides, some remedies are also not very safe for use in young children.