Palpation is the unpleasant sensation or forceful or/and irregular beat of the heart. It is a common condition among men and women from different age groups and there are different factors known to trigger it such as incorrect diet, unhealthy lifestyle and in some cases stress. Currently, it is affecting younger people more and as such, it is important to have an idea of some of the symptoms one needs to be on the lookout for as well as the type of diet they need to adhere to in order to ensure that the condition is effectively addressed.
Normally, the heart is supposed to have sixty to ninety beats per minute. When it deviates from this, it causes heart palpitation. These are classified in accordance to where they originate from and there are instances when they get resolved on their own. However, it is advisable to seek professional help in case you experience palpitation. This is for the purpose of determining its cause and hence, coming up with an ideal way of addressing the condition before it gets out of hand.
Causes of Palpitation
For the heart to work well it needs a normal environment and when this is not availed, complications arise. Since this is a chemical era, a large number of the substances taken into the body are harmful and known to cause palpitation. This is because they act as adrenalin and thus make the heart irritable. As such, the major causes of palpitation include the following.
- Medication bought over the counter like pseudoephedrine which is often found in some cold medications and herbal medications such as ma huang.
- Illicit drugs such as PCP. Cocaine, marijuana and amphetamine among others.
- Stress is also known to trigger the heart rate and this also causes palpitation. This is because the adrenalin level if increased.
- Structural heart construction abnormalities are also known to be a major cause of palpitation.
- Coronary arteries narrowing can also be another major cause and this is because the supply of blood to the heart is reduced
- Pregnant women can also suffer from palpitation though there might be no rhythm disturbance present which might indicate any danger.
- Women who are undergoing menopause can also experience palpitation because of hormonal changes.
Symptoms of Palpitation
Palpitation is by itself a symptom of an underlying problem and they are associated with the isolated skip of a beat. When the palpitation is prolonged, there is fullness or fluttering noted in the patients chest. Despite this fact however, there are certain signs which can be identified as symptoms and these include the following.
- Patients describe a shortness of breath.
- Prolonged palpitation can also cause chest pain.
- Lightheadedness and in some cases, the patient can also pass out.
Palpitation Home Remedies
The best way to deal with palpitation is to use home remedies. These are easy to make within the comfort of your home, they are safe and they do not aggravate the condition but rather, help with treatment of palpitation. Some of the home remedies you need to try out include the following. Remember, you should always consult with your physician in order to get a proper diagnosis and before trying to incorporate these home remedies and herbal remedies yourself! Here are some of the home remedies that you can try.
- Lemon– Take one lemon slice and squeeze the juice. Mix it with 1 tsp of honey and add water (250 milliliter) to create a mixture. Drink the mixture at least two times everyday. This has proven to be an ideal cure for palpitation and as such, it is viewed as one of the most effective remedy choices.
- Juice– Rather than taking drinks that are carbonated, you should consider the possibility of settling down with fruit juices. This is important as it helps you cut down on coffee and tea consumption because these two are known to increase cases of palpitation. However, when taking fruit juices, it is important to ensure you avoid those that have processed variants because there is the high possibility they are carbonated as well.
- Vegetables and Fruits– You should also increase your intake of fresh vegetables and fruits in order to remedy cases of palpitation.
- Grape Juice– You should drink 1 glass of grape juice at least once everyday as a remedy.
- Water– Whenever you experience palpitation, you should take a gulp of water. While there is no clear indication of how this works, most people get instant results when they gulp cold water. The theory behind this states that the water makes the esophagus press against the heart and this restored normal heartbeat.
- Fish– You should eat fish in plenty and especially mackerel and salmon. This is because they have high omega 3 fatty acids which are good for the heart. At any given time, make sure that you don’t eat large amounts of food because this diverts the blood from the heart to the digestive tract thus causing palpitation.
- Try This– Before going to bed, drink one glass of water and add 1 tsp of honey and half lemon slice to it. This is an ideal remedy for treating palpitation and it also ensures that you don’t suffer from any nervous episodes that might trigger the condition once more.
- Coriander Leaves– Using coriander leaves that are dry mix them with aniseed and jiggery in order to make a powder. Add 6 grams of the powder to all your meals and you will note a great reduction in the rate of palpitations experienced.
- Rest– You should get enough rest and sleep every night in order to keep your stress levels at a minimum and ensure that you don’t suffer from any cases of palpitation.
- Snake guard leaves-they are very beneficial in the treatment of palpitation. Extract juice from the leaves and take two tablespoons thrice a day. Ensure the leaves are fresh to get quality juice for your treatment.
- Guava– Eat a ripe guava daily and on an empty stomach. It helps in treatment of palpitation caused by anemia and nervousness. Guava is soothing and helps to even calm down your nerves.
- Grapes– they are very effective and relieve palpitation instantly. Take grapes or grape juice at frequent intervals. You can also make juice from grapes and take them regularly to prevent and treat palpitation.
- Honey– it is proven to be one of the most effective and safe treatment for palpitation. It can be digested and assimilated with ease. Take a glass of water that is mixed with a tablespoon of honey and juice of half a lemon before you sleep. You can also use honey in your bread, tea and even drinking water to enhance treatment.
- Dry coriander and aniseed powder-mix the ingredients in equal quantities. They should be taken after every meal to treat and prevent palpitation in the future. The treatment is effective and works best for mild and serious palpitation of the heart.
- Indian spikenard– this is also a very effective and beneficial treatment for palpitation of the heart. It stimulates the functions of the heart and should be taken in two to three doses. Add cinnamon and a pinch of camphor to Indian Spikenard. The infusion can also be taken 3 times a day in doses of 30 to 60ml.
- Exercises– It is essential to engage in relaxing exercises such as yoga. When nervous yoga will help to calm your nerves to prevent and treat palpitation.
- Use coriander in your cooking-coriander powder in your meals will help in the treatment of the disease.
In order to calm a palpitation flatter, you should pinch the nose and close the mouth and try exhaling in this state. Since it is not possible to do this, you will have to bear down like someone forcing bowel movement and this pressure helps ion resetting your system and makes it easy for you to breathe normally. This is known as the Valsalva maneuver and it has been used for centuries for the purpose of treating palpitation. It is also seen as one of the most effective remedies and one worth trying at home. With home remedies, you can rest assured of getting relief from palpitation and this is without having to deal with any side effects that might further aggravate the condition and make the palpitation worse.
Diet for Palpitation
The most common advised offered by doctors who deal with palpitation cases is that the patient should adhere to a healthy diet. This means eating plenty of fresh foods such as vegetables and fruits. You should also cut down on the consumption of processed foods and meat. They also suggest that you should eat at proper intervals and the right amounts. A balanced diet that has all the essential nutrients is one of the most reliable ways of dealing with palpitation. When it comes to diet, such patients should also take the following into consideration.
- They should cut down on the amount of carbohydrates. While these are known to give the body energy needed, when it is not used immediately it is stored as fats. In the long run, this has a negative impact on your body because it causes blockage of arteries and this increases the chance of suffering from palpitation episode.
- You should avoid soft drinks and coffee from your diet. This is especially true when experiencing cases of palpitation.
- You should have a diet that is right in proteins and you can get this from vegetables and fruits. By ensuring that you have sufficient proteins, your heart muscles and blood are also kept healthy and in check.
Prevention of Palpitation
There are instances when palpitation might be as a result of psychological or bodily disorder and while this is the case, most cases are preventable through lifestyle change and modification of diet. For the purpose of ensuring that you keep palpitation at bay and enjoy better health, you should consider the following preventive measures.
- You should refrain from consumption of drinks that are carbonated like soft drinks. Also avoid tea and coffee. This is because the drinks are known to stimulate the condition and this increases your heartbeats thus making them irregular and an area of concern.
- You should avoid antidepressant drugs because they affect your pulse rate and heartbeat. What is more, whenever the drug effects drop, the body assumes an awareness level that is low and this only serves to aggravate the condition.
- You should learn how to handle stressful situations and this is especially true among people with panic disorders. Learn how to approach such situations with a level head.
191 total views, 1 views today