Peeling skin is a common skin condition and it occurs on different skin types. It is not a permanent condition and as such, it can be healed in a matter of days expect in cases where it is as a result of infection, side effects caused by medications or hereditary disorder. There are instances when this can be a natural process of the skin but in other cases, it is as a result of viral infection. It is an unsightly and can be embarrassing and especially when it occurs on a body part that cannot be hidden.
In order to have a better understanding of what peeling skin is, it is ideal to bear in mind that the skin has 3 layers and these include the epidermis, which is the outer skin and one that can be touched and seen. There is the dermis which is the middle layer and there is the hypodermis which is the innermost layer. Each of these layers has sub-layers and specific functions. Skin is just like hair and as such, it is always changing and it also grows at a faster pace. For instance, the epidermis must be replaced every month and there are a couple of factors that aggravate this replacement such as your health, pollution, sun and friction. In cases where skin peeling is not as a result of this replacement, there is cause for worry.
Causes of Peeling Skin
Peeling skin is noted when the outer layer also known as epidermis is damaged directly. In other cases though, it might be an indication of a deep seated health problem. Some of the major causes of peeling skin are therefore as highlighted below.
- Dry weather can cause peeling skin and this is because your body moisture has to work overtime for the purpose of replenishing your skin cells and organs. When you don’t hydrate properly moisture is not supplied to your skin and consequently, this causes peel off of the dermis.
- There are skin disorders which might also cause peeling skin and this includes ringworm, seborrheic dermatitis, athlete’s foot and psoriasis.
- Use of certain topical treatments can also trigger an outbreak of this condition such as those used for retinoids.
- Dehydration is another major cause of peeling skin.
- It might also be caused by burns
- Deficiency in minerals like vitamin and minerals such as vitamin B, iron, and iodine.
- It can be as a result of rashes or an indication of another allergy.
- Peeling skin can also be caused by sunburns.
- Wearing clothes that are too tight or made from materials that don’t make it easy for the skin to breathe can also be another major cause of the condition.
- An overdose of vitamin A also known as hypervitaminosis or toxicity can also trigger the condition.
Symptoms of Peeling Skin
The skin is not a simple protective layer that covers your body but an organ. As such, when you suffer from peeling skin condition, you should not take it lightly. It is important to have an idea of how to go about remedying the condition in order to ensure you don’t have any other problems with other parts of your body. The following are some of the symptoms you need to be on the lookout for in order to identify peeling skin and get a remedy for it on time.
- The skin is flaky and when rubbed, bits start peeling away even when it is rubbed gently.
- The area where the peeling is most notable develops a rash and it becomes red.
- The condition is accompanied by itchiness and this is because the skins surface is irritated.
- Around the area where the skin is peeling off, it also becomes unnaturally dry and this aggravates the itchiness, flaking and redness.
There are other symptoms which are an indication of a more serious problem and some of these are as highlighted below.
- High fever
- Pain in the muscles and joints
- Weight loss for no specific reason.
Peeling Skin Home Remedies
There are a couple of home remedies which are useful and they also provide relieve for peeling skin. Some of these include the following. Remember, you should always consult with your physician in order to get a proper diagnosis and before trying to incorporate these home remedies and herbal remedies yourself! Here are some of the home remedies that you can try.
- Sandalwood– Make a paste using sandalwood, honey, olive oil mask and turmeric. This paste should be smooth and applied on the affected areas in order to rejuvenate them.
- Olive Oil– Olive oil is another essential home remedy and it helps address peeling skin and other related skin conditions. You should massage the oil on the affected areas and leave it on for 15 minutes before rinsing it off.
- Honey– Honey is another ideal home remedy choice and in this case, it should be used as a facemask. Since it is been used for healing properties, it is advisable not to mix it with anything else. Apply honey on the affected skin area and leave it on for 40 minutes before rinsing it.
- Oatmeal– Oatmeal is gentle and as such, seen as one of the best ways of exfoliating dead skin. You can choose to have an oatmeal bath by soaking in a tub that has oatmeal mixed with water, alternatively, you can apply oatmeal to the affected areas alone in order to enjoy the healing benefits it offers.
- Cucumber- Cucumber is an effective remedy for various skin conditions including peeling skin. You should grate your cucumber and rub it on your skin especially the affected areas. Let the cucumber stay on the skin for about twenty minutes before you wash it. Repeat this process for a couple of days. This remedy acts as the natural moisturizer especially for the withered skins.
- Fresh Mint- This is a perfect solution to the problem of peeling skin. You should extract fresh juice from the mint and then apply it over the infected parts to keep the skin moisturized. Do this regularly until the skin is completely healed. The good thing about this herb is that it is extremely effective in improving different skin conditions. What is more, it does not have any notable effects.
- Aloe Vera- Aloe Vera is known to cure a host of health complications including peeling skin. It is also effective in treating sunburns. What is more, aloe can be applied in various forms including capsules and fresh juice. Just apply the fresh juice on the affected areas. The gel substance is known to have anti-inflammatory properties that help repair the broken skin. It also contains antibacterial properties to encourage timely healing of the skin. Apply the gel twice a day for two weeks for more effective results. Aloe vera also does not have any notable side effects and it can be used by people all ages including young children.
- Avocado- Avocado contains essential nutrients such as vitamin E and other special oils that moisturize the skin. You should include a piece of avocado in your meal to keep your skin moisturized all the time. Apply the avocado paste on the affected parts of your skin for several days and you will notice the difference.
Before using home remedies, you should exercise some caution and ensure you are not allergic to the home remedies. Ensure that the ingredients used are okay for your skin and it is advisable to buy some organic remedies for use as remedies because they do not have any pesticides that might affect your kin. For people with skin that is overly sensitive, it is advisable to let the skin heal on its own in order to eliminate the possibility of making the condition worse.
Diet for Peeling Skin
By adhering to an ideal diet, you can keep peeling skin at bay and cure it. For this reason, you need to try the following diet ideas.
- The first diet tip for peeling skin is to ensure you drink loads of fluids everyday. You should also consider drinking water while having your meal and not only after the meal or when you get thirsty. This will ensure that your body is well hydrated at all times.
- Drink lots of fruit juices that are fresh as this gives your body sufficient strength and also makes your immune system strong. It is also the best way of ensuring that your skin is well moisturized.
- You can also limit your intake of foods that are rich in fiber because these are known to carry out quick body waste elimination. This in turn uses a lot of fluids and this makes it difficult for your skin to stay well hydrated and as such, it makes peeling skin worse.
A well balanced diet that is rich in vitamins and minerals is also advisable. This is not only because it makes it possible to address peeling skin condition but also because it makes you healthier in every sense of the word.
Prevention of Peeling Skin
There are some preventive measures you can exercise in order to ensure that you don’t suffer from an episode of peeling skin. Some of these are as highlighted below.
- Once you note that your skin is starting to peel, you should take a cold bath or shower. This is because the cold water will help the skin to cool down and also slow down the process. When drying the skin, rather than rubbing it dry, pat it dry. This is important as it slows down the peeling process.
- You should moisturize your skin as often as possible in order to ensure that it does not peel off. In this case, it is advisable to settle with a moisturizer that has the ability of cooling down the skin and reducing any cases of inflammation.
- After cooling your skin from the outside, you also need to cool it from the inside and in this case, you should drink lots of water. By ensuring that your skin is well hydrated, you eliminate the damage caused by irritated skin and what is more, this gives your skin the opportunity to revive and repair itself. It is recommended that you should drink at least 8 to 10 glasses of water everyday.
- You should stop the itch before it aggravates the condition. Whenever you scratch peeling skin, you trigger an infection and this makes the condition worse. Therefore, if you want to get rid of dead skin, use a small scissor to do this and afterwards, use an antibacterial.
Prevention is always the best way to deal with peeling skin and for this reason you should ensure you are always well prepared to deal with any eventuality.
105 total views, 1 views today