The term piles are synonymous with hemorrhoids. It is important to note however that the two are however not the same thing. Hemorrhoids refer to vessels that line the anal wall, and which aide in regulating the movement of stool. When these vascular structures become swollen they are referred to as piles. The reason for this is that they – the vascular structures – lump onto each other and in by so doing form a pile of sorts (sic). Piles as such refer to the swellings that develop along the walls of the anus or the rectum. These swellings come as a result of an increase in the size of the blood vessels that line the walls of the anus or the rectum wall. It is unclear why exactly this blood vessels increase in size, there are however a number of possible reasons that have been given by medical science – reasons that will be given somewhere in this article. According to some respected medical journals, research estimates that at least half of humanity will have piles at one stage of their lives. There is no need to worry though; this is on account of the fact that the medical intervention that is in most instances effective. Piles are basically classified into two groups -internal and external. The mode of classification will be explained in the article.
Causes of Piles
There are a number of reasons that occasion the occurrence of piles. Some of these are enumerated below:
- Constipation – Passing large fecal matter has been known to occasion the formation of piles. This is probably on account of the pressure that is brought to bear on the anal lining when passing stool. Similarly straining at the cloak room has also been cited as a possible culprit in the development of piles. The straining in this case refers to both matters posture as well as trying to pass off ones stool. The above scenarios are a harbinger of piles, and you do best to avoid such scenarios.
- Pregnancy – Amongst women, this is the most common cause of piles. The reason that is attributed to high incidences of piles during pregnancy is that as the fetus lies in the uterus pressure tends to be piled on the rectum and the anus. This pressure leads to a widening in the girth of the blood vessels that line the anal wall, and thus the onset of piles in a pregnant woman.
- Aging – This is the third suspect for an incidence of piles. Aging as a factor in the occurrence of piles is a no brainer. Basically it comes down to the wear and tear of the body – the lining of the anus gets less rigid as individuals age and the end result is that the vascular structures – hemorrhoids – that line the anal wall begin to act up. And thus the individual is afflicted with piles.
- Hereditary factors – Piles can also be attributed to hereditary factors. If an individual inherits weak venule walls in the anal region, then chances are that he will likely have a case of piles during the course of their lifetime. These are the issues that are responsible for piles in the life of an individual.
Symptoms of Piles
The question that you need to ask your self is this: How do I know that I am battling with a case of piles? To answer this question conclusively, you have to appreciate the fact that piles can be both internal and external in nature. For a case of internal hemorrhoids, the signs and symptoms that you will be dealing with are as follows:
- Small swellings on the inside of the anus. These swellings are located at the rim of the anal opening, and one can feel them if they inserted their finger in the anus. This is classified as a grade 1 internal hemorrhoid.
- The hemorrhoids might be slightly pushed out of the anus when one goes to the toilet. This condition of a collapsed anal wall is referred to as a prolapsed. The hemorrhoids however go back into the anus after one is done with their toilet business. This is classified as a grade 2 internal hemorrhoid.
- The hemorrhoids fully hang out from the anus. They can be pushed back in by use of a finger. In the classification of internal hemorrhoids, this is classified as a grade 3 hemorrhoid.
- The hemorrhoids permanently hang out of the anus and you can not return them into the anus, even if you tried. This is classified as a grade 4 hemorrhoid. These internal hemorrhoids are accompanied by a feeling of itching, possibly bleeding after visiting the toilet and some mucus secretions. Smaller hemorrhoids are normally painless but the larger hemorrhoids can cause anguish.
There are also external hemorrhoids. These are however rare, they develop along the outside edge of the anus. The pain that is associated with this hemorrhoid usually peaks between 48-72 hours. The external hemorrhoid last some 7-10 days and will simply drop off as some flake of the skin. The only possible complication that can arise with this external hemorrhoid is in the vent that it develops a clot. This might necessitate immediate surgery and this does not bode well for the individual who bears this sort of fate.
Piles Home remedies
The following are some of the possible home remedies that you can possibly apply if you are afflicted by a case of piles. Here goes. Remember, you should always consult with your physician in order to get a proper diagnosis and before trying to incorporate these home remedies and herbal remedies yourself! Here are some of the home remedies that you can try.
- Coconut Oil– Foremost you can begin by applying coconut oil to the affected area; it will give you a tone of relief in so far as dealing with the pain of passing stool is concerned.
- Jamblang– You can take up the consumption of an Indian fruit known as Jamblang. Better known as the Janbul fruit, it has been known to cure horrible cases of hemorrhoids. It should be taken during the morning hours on an empty stomach.
- Turmeric– You can go the route of consuming the turmeric root. This root has been known to have healing properties for a wide array of medical conditions. Its magic is found in the fact that it has antiseptic properties. A teaspoon every morning should do the trick.
- Banana– Ensure that you mix a ripe ground banana in milk. This concoction has been described as a potent pain killer and will go a long way in helping you alleviate the pain that is borne from hemorrhoids.
- Yoghurt- The best natural remedy for piles is to take yoghurt mixed with black mustard. Use the minced black mustard to prepare your mixture. While taking it, ensure that the pieces of your black mustard are properly chewed. Then drink some buttermilk. Repeat this procedure for several weeks until the symptoms of piles are completely gone.
- Pomegranate- Pomegranate peels are known to provide effective solution to the problem of piles. Soak the peels in boiled water and squeeze the concoction. Leave it for a few minutes to cool down. Make sure to drink the concoction when your stomach is empty especially at daybreak. Take the tea for several weeks to have more impressive results.
- Goat’s Milk- Research has shown that goat’s milk is highly effective in treating bleeding piles. You can also make this milk more effective by mixing it with carrot juice. Alternatively, you can use yoghurt prepared from goat’s milk. Take the yoghurt with freshly cut pieces of carrots in the morning.
- Buttermilk- Many people reduce the pain caused by piles by drinking buttermilk mixed with rock salt and ginger. You should take the formula twice a day for two weeks. If there are no impressive results after two weeks of consuming the mixture it is important that you consider seeking help from a qualified medical doctor.
- Mango Seeds- Powdered mango seeds are also highly effective in improving piles. You should first dry the seeds and powder them. Add a few drops of honey to improve the taste. Eat the mixture twice everyday for about two weeks. Contrary to what many people think, these seeds do not have any side effects.
- Mashed Banana- Mashed bananas and a cup of milk are also highly effective in dealing with piles. Take the mixture for several days and you will notice a difference.
Diet for Piles
There dietary intervention that you might need to apply when dealing with a case of hemorrhoids is as follows:
- Fiber – This is the food that should dominate a large segment of your diet. The reason being that the consumption of fiber promotes the movement of stool periodically. The advantage of traveling this route is that you essentially avoid a situation where you have large fecal matter (on account of accumulation of waste in the body); an accumulation of fecal matter is not a good thing because it results in pressure on the anal wall when it is being expelled and this has the effect of ensuring that you heighten your chances of battling piles.
- Water – This is the second element that is a prerequisite for ran individual who is battling a case of the piles. The importance of water is that it tends top soften up fecal matter and this has the effect of ensuring that your fecal matter is softened and this is a positive for the reasons that have been repeatedly highlighted in this article.
Prevention of Piles
There are a number of ways that the development of piles can be checked, some of this are listed below:
- Foremost ensure that you avoid any situation or scenario that places strain on the anal wall. An external source of external pressure is anal sex for instance. It is on account of cases of prolapsed (collapsed anal walls) that prison the world over having recognized the importance of conjugal visits. For those who practice anal sex, use lubricants.
- Secondly ensure that you consume large volumes of water. The medical recommendation stands at some 2 liters or some 10-12 cups per day for adults. The importance of water in the system has been highlighted earlier in the article.
- Thirdly, ensure that your posture is right when you are handling your toilet business. Over time a wrong posture leads to weakening of the anal walls and this leaves you battling with a case o f the piles, something that you do not want.
- Fourthly, and along the same vein, you cam essentially ensure that you strengthen you anal muscles by exercises such as the piles. This will go a long way in saving you anguish in tour old age when the anal muscles begin to loosen up.
- Lastly, eat right. Eat foods that promote the movement of stool periodical -fiber – and in the absence of fiber that you get to consume fiber supplements. These are the do's and don’ts when it comes to how top tackle a case of the piles. If the symptoms persist, seek medical advice. All the best.
133 total views, 1 views today