Pneumonia is also known as the infection of the lungs to some people. When looking at this kind of infection, you need to note that even though most people refer to it as a bacterial infection, it can also be as a result of certain viruses. Below are some of the types of pneumonia that you may need to know:
- Typical pneumonia
This kind of pneumonia infects people as a result of viruses is known as typical pneumonia because most of such viruses are less common such that they do not inhibit the classic symptoms of pneumonia. Typical pneumonia that comes as a result of viruses mostly affects people who are within the age bracket of below 40 years of age.
- Aspiration Pneumonia
This type of pneumonia develops in the event that one inhales irritant chemicals and bacteria into the lungs from the stomach or the mouth. This kind of pneumonia is common ion those people who had in the past had stroke and are experiencing difficulty in managing their swallowing reflexes. It can also infect those who have lost consciousness because of overconsumption of alcohol or overdose of drugs.
Apart from just the above mentioned there is also another kind of pneumonia that can develop in people who have been hospitalized for other kinds of infections or illness. This one is known to be more serious since the it is believed that the organisms that thrive in hospitals are often drug resistant. Such patients become very vulnerable to fight the infection as a result of the weakness that their bodies are exposed to as a result of the other forms of illness.
Causes of Pneumonia
When looking at pneumonia, you need to note that there are several conditions and organisms that are responsible for causing this lung infection. Pneumonia can be caused by several agents including bacteria, viruses, and fungi among other agents. In fact, it is because of the variety of causes of Pneumonia that in certain instances, it becomes very difficult to tell the exact cause. Below is an in-depth analysis on some of the causes of pneumonia:
This is the major cause of pneumonia that most people will always refer to. There are two categories of bacteria that are highlighted by health experts to cause the infection. These are the Gram-negative and the Gram-positive. The significant difference that lies between these two categories of pneumonia-causing bacteria is in their colors that can be determined in the laboratory. This is what indicates the severity of the infection. The Gram-positive bacteria are usually blue and the most common. They include Streptococcus pneumoniae, Staphylococcus aureus and Streptococcus pyogenes bacteria. The Gram-negative have got a pink color and are mostly infect hospitalized people. They include Haemophilus influenzae, Klebsiela Pneumoniae, Pseudomonas aeruginosa among others.
These organisms are also known to cause pneumonia. However, the kind of pneumonia that is caused by viruses is typically known to be resistant to antibiotic treatments which are contrary to the kinds of pneumonia caused by bacteria. Some of the viruses that case pneumonia include Adenoviruses, Rhino, Influenza, respiratory syncytial, and parainfluenza viruses.
Apart from bacteria and viruses, there are also certain fungi that can cause pneumonia like Coccidiomycois, Histoplasmosis, Aspergillosis and Cryptococcosis. However, the kinds of pneumonia that is caused buy these agents are not very common.
There may also be other causes of pneumonia like the exposure to irritant chemicals. Such causes are known as occupational causes.
Symptoms of Pneumonia
As a result of the variety of causes of pneumonia, it is important that you are knowledgeable on some of the symptoms of the symptoms of the infection. With this kind of knowledge, it may be much easier to seek for assistance within an appropriate time to avoid any dangers that might be paused by the infection of t5he lungs. Bear in mind the lungs are among the most vital parts of the body such that in infection on them may even lead to premature death. Below are some of the symptoms of pneumonia:
- Rapid breathing and even heartbeat.
- Shortness of breath or difficulty in breathing.
- Chest pain that are experienced on the side of the lung that is infected. This can sometimes be accompanied by severe pain in the abdomen especially in the area where the lower lobes of the lungs are positioned.
- Shivering, chills that are accompanied by fever.
- Dry cough in the early stages followed by phlegm in the later stages of the infection.
Since there are different causes of Pneumonia, different people may experience different symptoms. However, the ones mentioned above are some of the general symptoms that anyone who is infected with any kind of pneumonia will experience.
There are also certain emergency symptoms of pneumonia that include:
- High fever.
- Coughing of sputum.
- Bluish-colored skin.
- Weight loss.
- Rapid heartbeat or heavy breathing.
- Reduced mental capability.
Pneumonia Home Remedies
Pneumonia is an infection that can be able to claim one's life within just a very short time. It is for this reason that you need to seriously take note of the home remedies since in certain occasions, one may only realize of the infection when it has developed into a very chronic case. Below are some of the home remedies: Remember, you should always consult with your physician in order to get a proper diagnosis and before trying to incorporate these home remedies and herbal remedies yourself! Here are some of the home remedies that you can try.
- Raw Juices- In case you are showing symptoms of pneumonia, it is advisable that you begin consuming lots of raw juices mixed with warm water. Some of the juices that are recommended include oranges, apples, pineapple, mussombi, carrots, tomatoes and grapes. These should be taken after every two hours for a period of about five to seven days.
- Herbal tea- Today, there are lots of herbal teas that are available in the market. However, the best kind of herbal tea for those who are infected with pneumonia is the one that is prepared from fenugreek seeds. This will help in detoxifying the body and reducing fever. The patient should take at least five cups daily. However, the quality of the tea should be reduced with the level of improvement that the patient shows. The tea can be made with a few drops of lemon juice too so as to improve the flavor.
- Garlic- This is also another good home remedy to pneumonia. It can be taken in the form of a juice to help in lowering the temperature and the pulse rate of the patient. Besides, the juice can also be rubbed externally on the chest areas where the patient feels pain.
- Sesame seeds- Sesame seeds should be infused and mixed with one tablespoon of linseed, a pinch of table salt and a dessertspoon of honey then given to the patient. This is beneficial in fighting the sputum that is found in the bronchial tubes of the pneumonia patient.
- Turpentine oil- Turpentine oil can also be rubbed over the rib cage of the patient. The area should then be wrapped up in a warm cotton wool to provide relief from pain.
- Onion and garlic gloves- Onion and garlic gloves have been used in treating pneumonia for a long time. To treat pneumonia using onion and garlic gloves, you need to mice about 5 garlic cloves and mix them with half onion. Add about 9 oz of water. To make this remedy more effective, add about two tablespoonful of honey. The solution should be taken 30 minutes before meals. The solution works by opening bronchial passages.
- Apple juice or cranberry- This remedy works by adding antioxidants in the body. It has been used for a long time in treating pneumonia. However, it is important to know that with this remedy, you should not eat solid foods except kefir or yogurt.
- Potassium broth- Making potassium broth from your home is easy. You just need garlic cloves, celery stalks, parsley, radishes and carrots. You can also use vegetable juice with low sodium content. Basically, potassium broth works by repairing damaged lung tissues. However, it is important for people with heart diseases to avoid too much potassium broth. Although it helps in regulating heart functioning, if too much of it is taken it can be dangerous.
- Cayenne- This herbal remedy has been used in the treatment of pneumonia for many years and proven effective. It also help in relieving symptoms of several respiratory illnesses.
- Carrot juice- You can also take carrot juice in about 12 ounce glass amount. This should be taken during dinner. To make this remedy more effective, you can add pepper. Carrot juice helps in healing lungs. It also works as an antioxidant for the damaged lung tissue. In addition, it is a good source of calcium, vitamins, phosphorous, magnesium and potassium.
Diet for Pneumonia
Nutrition is an important part of healing for those with pneumonia. However, you need to ensure that the foods that are given to the patient are those ones that are easy to eat and digest. Also lay much focus on those foods that improve health. Here are some of the recommended foods for a diet of a pneumonia patient:
- Foods with Vitamin A and C as well as those rich in dietary fiber like lettuce, spinach, cauliflower, carrots, red sweet pepper, winter squash, citrus fruits among others
- Fluids should also be an essential part of the diet of a person with pneumonia since during the infection; the body tends to lose lots of fluids. Ensure that you take lots of fruity smoothies that contain pineapples to help in providing relief from the symptoms of pneumonia. Besides, you can also drink soups that contain broths to help in raising the level of sodium in the body.
Prevention of Pneumonia
From the causes of pneumonia, it can be said that a variety of people get infected as a result of getting into contact with people who have got the infection since most of the organisms that cause Pneumonia can easily be transferred from one person to the other. It is for this reason that one should try as much to avoid staying so close to those with the infections. Some of the ways of preventing pneumonia include:
- Maintaining good hygiene. It is important to ensure that where you live is clean so as to keep off the pneumonia-causing organisms. Also wash your hands with soap before eating and after coming from the toilet. In case you have shaken hands unknowingly with a person who is infected with pneumonia, it is also vital that you wash your hand immediately to avoid transmission.
- Vaccination is also another way of preventing pneumonia. However, your doctor will be able to guide you on the best vaccines that can shield you from pneumonia. One of the recommended vaccines is the Pneumonia vaccine that is mostly offered to people over the ages of 65 and those living in nursing homes and care centers.
- Changing hospital practices is also another way of preventing pneumonia. Health facilities are known to harbor drug-resistant organisms that cause pneumonia and so the facilities should take it upon themselves to educate people on how to reduce the chances of transmission in such areas.
120 total views, 1 views today