Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome is normally abbreviated as PCOS. When looking at this condition that first thing that you have to take note of is that it is a condition that affects females only. Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome occurs when there is an accumulation of several fluid-filled sacs also known as cysts on the ovaries that are associated with a higher level of male hormones. The other conditions that can lead to the accumulation of the cysts on the ovaries include the absence of ovulation and also certain metabolic interferences.
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome is said to be experienced in almost 6% of the women who are yet to attain the menopause stage. There are several characteristics of this condition that women may need to look at. In fact most of them begin to occur at adolescence. For more insight into this condition, keep reading!
Causes of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
There are lots of conditions that can be associated with the Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. However, it should be noted that there is no definite cause of the condition. Most studies that have been conducted on women with the condition reveal that it mainly comes as a result of two factors namely:
- Inherited or genetic factors
- Environmental factors
Those women who have got a sister(s) or a mother (s) who have got Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome in most occasions will also have the condition. However, there is still numerous researches that is going to establish the role that is played by genetics in the development of the condition. There are those who say that the several numbers of cysts in the ovaries of women is the cause of the condition. However, it needs to be noted that a even those women who do not have the condition have got a similar number of cysts in their ovaries. This is an assurance that the condition is not caused by the cysts.
The other probable causes of the polycystic ovarian syndrome include:
- Hormonal abnormalities
- Lower level of chronic inflammation within the body
- Exposure of the fetus to male hormones.
In terms of hormonal abnormalities, it is said that most women who have got this condition often have a malfunction of their insulin systems. Besides, it has also been established that most women with polycystic ovarian syndrome normally produce excessive androgens from their ovaries. Such women also demonstrate production of the hormone LH in excessive amounts.
Symptoms of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
A variety of women do not really realize that they have got the polycystic ovarian syndrome until very late in life. However, in case you are a woman who minds about her health, it is important that you are well informed on the symptoms of this condition so that whenever you experience them, you are able to seek the right kind of assistance within the appropriate time.
When looking at the symptoms of Polycystic Ovarian syndrome, it is important to bear in mind that the main signs of this condition are often related to minor problems with the menstrual cycle and higher levels of male hormones that are also known as androgens. Below are some of the symptoms of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome:
- Delay in menstruation: apart from just the delay in monthly flow, women with this condition may also experience fewer periods of monthly flow or even miss it for a period of up to three months. Besides, the woman is also able to experience heavy bleeding during menstruation.
- Increase in the amount of hair in the face and body.
- Increased weight or obesity.
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome Home Remedies
With the above information about polycystic ovarian syndrome, it is equally important that you get to know about some of the home remedies to the condition. When you know some of the remedies that you are able to use to address the condition, it will be quite easy dealing with the symptoms. One of the advantages of relying on home remedies to this condition is that most of them are easily available and can be obtained and used even without spending lots of money. Even if you will be obtaining the remedies from the food stores, groceries or even chemists, most of them are not relatively expensive and contain very effective health properties.
Certain home remedies to Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome will not even cost you a thing since they involve activities that you are able to do individually at home without any hindrances. For you to be able to lead a healthy life and manage the symptoms of this condition, you should rely on the remedies that are listed below: Remember, you should always consult with your physician in order to get a proper diagnosis and before trying to incorporate these home remedies and herbal remedies yourself! Here are some of the home remedies that you can try.
- Tulsi- This is a plant that is widely grown in India. However, you can also grow it in your garden for use in toning down the main symptoms of PCOS. The main reason why this herb is recommended for women with the condition is because of its effective anti-androgenic properties. The herb is able to keep the insulin levels in the body at moderate levels and also reverse weight gain. Tulsi also contains anti-oxidants that are able to rejuvenate the tissues hence addressing a variety of the symptoms of the condition. Women who have got PCOS are advised to consume about ten to 12 raw of boiled leaves of Tulsi a day. When boiling, you should use water and the leaves should be consumed in the morning or before breakfast. When used for a period of eight to ten weeks, the herb is able to restore hormonal balance and also improve health.
- Weight Loss– In creased weight or obesity is one of the main symptoms of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. This means that one of the best ways of addressing the condition is by toning down your weight. There are several ways through which you are able to cut weight or keep your body fit. Some of these include:
- Exercises: The best form of exercises is yoga. However, ensure that you get directives from a professional instructor. Engaging in workouts will also help you in finding relief from stress that may come with certain symptoms of PCOS like infertility among others.
- Eating a well balanced diet: To be able to avoid obesity, you should keep of junk foods and instead invest more in balanced diets that include lots of fruits, whole grains and dairy products with low fat content.
- Quit Smoking– In case you smoke, it is also advisable that you quit smoking. Women who smoke are known to have very high levels of androgens that may not be good for you.
- Evening primrose– This herbal remedy helps in controlling PCOS. It also works for people with some skin conditions and women with irregular menstruation cycle. Primrose has also been proven to work well with people with blood pressure and heart problems.
- Chaste berry– Chaste berry is also referred to as Angus cactus. It has been used by many people in controlling PCOS. This herb affects the pituitary gland immediately upon usage. This gland is responsible for the production of hormones in the body. Hormone production is the major source of polycystic ovarian syndrome symptoms. In most cases, this herb has been regarded as an adaptive herb. This is herb that responds by doing exactly what the body wants.
- Dong Quai– This is another herb that is commonly used by women suffering from polycystic ovarian syndrome. It is very common in China. Many people call it female ginseng. It helps endocrine system and the liver in the production and regulation of hormones in the body. It has been used for many years in controlling polycystic ovarian syndrome and other menstruation problems.
- Black cohosh- This has also been used by many women for years in controlling polycystic ovarian syndrome. It is also used by women with irregular menstruation. For effective results, this her should be used on regular basis until when normal menstruation cycle is achieved. Many women have used it and reported positive results.
- Saw palmetto– This is another herb that has been used in controlling polycystic ovarian syndrome by many women. It works as anti-gen. This implies that it fights side effects and symptoms of polycystic ovarian syndrome.
Diet for Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
Maintaining a proper and balanced diet is able to help you in managing several symptoms of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. One of the most important elements that you need to bear in mind about the right diet for a woman with this condition is that the diet needs to be very strict about carbs. The carbohydrate content in your diet should come from unprocessed foods.
To be able to address the symptoms of this condition and even prevent others from developing, you should ensure that your diet contains:
- Lots of fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Whole grains.
- Foods rich in Zinc to fight the symptoms of acne.
- Sufficient Calcium and Vitamin D to enhance egg maturity and also the development of follicle in the ovaries.
Whether you have been given a diet plan for Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome or simply relying on the ones that are listed above, you should also ensure that you are taking part in exercises to ensure that you are able to effectively address the symptoms of the condition and also stay healthy. It is also advisable that you take fluids. Also try as much to avoid foods with refined sugars or processed carbs since these are able to stir up weight gain.
Prevention of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
From the description to the causes of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, you are able to find out that women who have the condition may have inherited it from their lineage while there are also others who may develop the condition as a result of certain environmental factors, hormonal imbalance among others. With all this, you should note that there is no precise way through which this condition can be prevented. The following statement is able to give a clear ruling on the prevention of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome:
- There are no particular measures that can be applied in the prevention of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. However, the best means that can be used in addressing it is that women should undergo regular checkups to be able to determine if they may have developed the conditions. This will help in its treatment so as to prevent any long term complications that might come with the condition.
124 total views, 1 views today