Skin blemish is a skin disease which is mostly indicated b the discoloration of the skin or black spots. In some cases it is referred to as hyper pigmentation and is the result of an attack by acne, pimples or the black heads which equally is prevalent among those who suffer from acne. There is however some skin blemishes which occur in the skin naturally at birth and are not necessarily caused by acne. Skin blemishes commonly affect the young adolescents but in other cases also affect people of all ages whether adults or infants. There is scientific proof that poor diet does not in any way lead to the skin blemishes, but worth noting is the fact that just as proper nutrition aides in the efficient functioning of the body organs, the skin can reflect the fact that someone takes a proper diet or do not.
The scientific explanation behind the skin blemishes is the clogging of the skin hair follicle, which occurs due to the excessive production of sebum by the sebaceous glands. This excess production is stimulated by the androgen hormones released during stress periods or due to anxiety. The sebum produced being an oily element mixes with bacterium which is readily available in the skin pores leading to the skin blemishes. Other products that can result into this clogging are toiletries and cosmetics such as the night creams and the skin moisturizers.
The most common forms of skin blemishes are the pustules, papules and the blackheads. The blackheads appear as black spots on the skin surface. If untreated the black spots can be permanent, they are a type of acne and has various treatments. The papules are also referred to as pimples they are slightly raised and are reddish in color. Just as the black heads they are the result of the blockage of the pores by dead skin and the use of certain skin products. They signify the infection of the oil glands. The pustules are the last of the forms of skin blemishes and occur as large swollen and reddish lumps on the skin surface. After then blockage of the pore there is the development of pus in the skin. Without the proper treatment, they can result to the scarring of the skin.
Causes of Skin Blemishes
- Increased hormone Levels: it is notable that during the teen years, the hormones in the body increase considerably and this leads to the prevalent cases of acne attacks which can be mild or severe during this ages. The increase in hormones in the body stimulates the sebaceous glands to produce more sebum which clogs the hair follicles. It is equally a known fact that in women the skin blemishes become severe and pronounced during menstr8uation and pregnancy. This equally happens when a woman begins taking birth control pills or when she stops. The body has to adapt to these hormonal changes and during this increase the skin blemishes appear,
- Hereditary factors: A child whose parents experienced acne or the skin blemishes I also very probable to suffer from the same due to genetic transmission of the condition Research has shown this to be true and school boys whose parents suffered from acne also experienced the problem.
- Certain foods: There is the prevailing myth that there are certain foods which cause acne. This is not scientifically proven but worth noting. The theory Is that foods like chocolate and others cause acne. Medical associations have dismissed these claims but recommend the avoidance that seems to aggravate the condition.
- Cosmetics: some cosmetics lead to the clogging of the skin pores and lead to the accumulation of dead cells in these pores. Topical oils and skin foods are said to have this effect and thus lead to skin blemishes. People are encouraged to utilize oil free cosmetics.
- Pressure: some patients have skins which are vulnerable to pressure and wearing tight fitting shoes and clothes including suspenders, belts and helmets can lead to the skin blemishes or may aggravate the condition al together.
- Drugs: there are medications which cause or worsen the skin blemishes. The include drugs which have iodide and bromide content. The steroids also have the same effect whether orally taken or injected. The anticonvulsants also lead to acne. It is however true that most cases of skin blemishes are not the result of drugs.
- Occupation: Some jobs expose the workers to certain chemicals and products like cutting oils which may produce skin blemishes or acne.
Symptoms of Skin Blemishes
The symptoms of the skin blemishes include:
- Skin Lesions
- In most cases found on the face, chest or back
- The whiteheads- whitish spots filled with pus
- Blackheads- black spots
- Reddish pimples.
- Pus filled pimples.
- Redness of the skin near the lesion.
- Skin cysts
- Com on face, chest or the back
- Redness of the skin in the are a around the cyst
- Pain in the skin
- The skin becomes tender
Skin Blemishes Home Remedies
Remember, you should always consult with your physician in order to get a proper diagnosis and before trying to incorporate these home remedies and herbal remedies yourself! Here are some of the home remedies that you can try.
- Lemon, Potato and Cucumber– Lemon, potato and cucumber juice are wonderful home remedy for the skin blemish. This natural remedies can be applied on the face for twenty minutes individually or in combination and on daily basis to reduce the skin blemishes
- Try This– Using a mixture of Bishop’s weed juice and jasmine buds extracts two times daily is a proper and effective home made remedy for skin blemishes
- Try This Mixture– A mixture of vinegar with three pounded strawberries applied on the face and left overnight produces wonderful results on the affected area.
- Carrots– Mashed boiled carrots applied on the face for fifteen or twenty minutes also serve as proper home made treatment. After the twenty minutes, the paste should be rinsed off using milk.
- Rose Water, Lemon Juice, and Honey– A combination of rose water, lemon juice and honey used in equal proportions serves as an effective remedy. His should be used for five to ten minutes regularly to reduce the blemishes
- Try This– A mixture of Rose water, yoghurt and powder of both orange and lemon peels which have been dried
- Papaya– Mashed raw papaya applied on the affected region for fifteen minutes is a good cure for the skin blemish. To combine this papaya paste with milk leads to better effects
- Almonds– Soak at least four almonds in water till morning then remove their peels, grind them and mix the paste with drops of honey and lemon juice. This is then smeared on the face for twenty to thirty minutes and has the wonderful effect of removing and healing the blemishes when applied on a regular basis
- Almond and Camphor– Mix almond and camphor extract in the ratio of two to seven and add a bit of rose water and sandalwood powder to the mixture. Use this combination regularly to heal and dry the blemishes
- Vinegar and Rosewater– A mixture of vinegar and rosewater in the ratio of two to one table spoons and some cucumber juice if applied on a regular basis serves as a proper cure to the skin blemishes.
- Chamomile and Lemon Juice– A remedy composed of boiled mixture of chamomile and lemon juice is good in healing the blemishes and spots on the face.
- Neem Leaves– A paste from the neem leaves or the water from boiled neem makes a mixture which if applied daily heals the blemishes
- Water– Drinking lots of water is a good way of keeping the skin hydrated and detoxified
- Castor oil- Castor oil has been used for many years to cure acne and sun burn because it is a natural skin tonic. It has fading properties which removes dark pigmentation from the skin. Castor oil should be used daily and may take a long time before the effects are seen, usually up to 2 months. Castor oil should not be used by pregnant women as it can induce labor.
- Lemon- The citric acid in lemon has ingredients that can help fade spots. Lemon juice is only effective if used in specific area. The area with blemish is washed and rubbed with lemon juice. The only side effect f lemon is the drying effect on the skin since it is an astringent. Still, lemon juice is very effective in getting rid of skin blemishes.
- Chamomile- Scientifically known as Matricaria recutita or Chamomilla recutita, it has been used for hundreds of years to treat not only skin ailments but also mouth ulcers, sleeplessness, anxiety, stomach upset, diarrhea and gas. It has been included as an ingredient in liquid extracts, tea, pills, creams and mouthwash. This is because chamomile aids in the regeneration of skin cells and acts as an antioxidant that fights free radical damage on the skin.
- Apple cider vinegar- Works similar to lemon juice and fades blemishes just as fast. Apple cider vinegar can be applied daily to the affected skin areas like twice daily and it will take approximately 4 or 6 weeks before the effects are shown. Another natural substance that can be used is onion, though onions are smelly and not many people would like that in the face. Still they are just as effective as the others.
- Aloe Vera- Aloe Vera has numerous antibacterial benefits that have been confirmed by several scientific studies. Several researches on the effect of Aloe Vera on burns, radiation ulcers and skin ailments have proved that Aloe Vera reduces the degree of immune suppression. Because of the anti-inflammatory nature of Aloe Vera, it has been used in moisturizers, shampoos and first aid creams.
Diet for Skin Blemishes
- A patient who is suffering from the skin blemish should insist on a proper diet made of Vitamins A,C and E. Foods which contain Zinc , selenium are highly encouraged as they prevent the skin blemishes and at the same time accelerate healing
- Fruits such as the oranges, guavas, gooseberries, carrots, water melons vegetables, seeds, nuts etc.
- One should desist from the consumption of foods with a lot of oils and fast and the foods with a lot of caffeine such as the chocolate, coffee and tea
- The diet should include a lot of drinking water to keep the body hydrated which leads to a healthy and perfect skin.
- Note: These dietary restrictions should be adhered to with the acutest sense. This will guarantee glowing skin with little or no complications arising.
Prevention of Skin Blemishes
- Proper diet- proper diet which is made up of more vegetables, fruits, whole grains and nuts is the best way of keeping skin blemishes at bay. This includes shunning those foods with very high oil and fat content and insisting on the diet which will encourage good skin condition. Drinking a lot of water should be cultured into an habit which is followed on a daily basis
- Proper Skin Cleansing- The patients and vulnerable people are encouraged to follow the correct skin cleaning and care routine. Regular skin exfoliation to remove the dead skin and cleaning to get rid of the dirt and oil from the surface of the skin
- Proper Blemish treatment- in the event that a blemish has appeared, one should not impatiently rapture the blemish but should apply the correct home remedy to ensure that the blemish heals easily and without developing further.
111 total views, 1 views today