A skin disease refers to any medical condition that affects the skin as an organ of the body along with the other components such as the muscles and glands. The term skin disease includes a broad spectrum of conditions some of which are not clearly known. The one that are already diagnosed exist in thousands. A skin disease can be deadly and lives threatening while others are simply a nuisance to us. Others are so pronounced while others are not even visible to the naked eye.
The most common skin diseases are:
- Acne which causes pimples due to the blockage of the passage of sebum from the sebaceous glands to the skin pores. The pimples could be whitish as in the case of whiteheads or could be blackish as in the case of the blackheads. Acne can lead to permanent scars especially because the blockage occurs very deep in the skin. Acne occurs mostly in the chest, face, the back of the neck, or at the back
- Eczema which is a term referring to several forms skin inflammation. It is believed to result from a genetic condition which affects the function of the skin as a barrier. It is most common in children and infants. An eczema outbreak can be caused by certain irritants or substances such as the perfumes or soaps or other chemicals.
- Seborrhea dermatitis is a skin disease which causes red, oily and waxy patches on the head and the trunk areas. It is common among men more so those who are bedridden. It is caused by a certain type of yeast that has high affinity for sebum hence affects body parts that have sebaceous glands.
- Skin cancer is the most common and exists in three categories; the basal cell carcinoma, the squamous cell carcinoma and the melanoma. The first two are the most common. The basal cell carcinoma is associated with the ultra violet rays of the sun.
- Psoriasis is a genetic disease which is chronic and leads to low quality of life. It occurs in form of excessive build up of the skin tissues. At the affected par5ts the skin looks reddish and thick with scales that are silvery. It affects the elbows, the knees but can also spread on the limbs and body.
The cause of a skin disease is specific to the particular disease in question, in the order of listing:
- Acne is caused by: Hereditary factors in which case the child born of a parent who suffered from acne is probable to suffer form the same. Research has shown this to be true. Increased hormone level in the body which is why acne cases are common during a person’s teen age and during the ladies menstruation periods and pregnancy. Certain foods have the effect of aggravating the acne symptoms hence re presumed to cause it.
- Eczema has no clear cause and the doctors speculate that it is caused by the defect in the function of the skin as a barrier and the defective functioning of the immune system.. Some categories of eczema can be caused by products that are brought into touch with the skin and such include soaps, jewelry or even sweat. A change in the temperature , humidity or stress can lead to eczema attack
- Seborrheic dermatitis is believed to be caused by the build up of yeast in the part of the body that has a lot of sebum deposits. The yeast acts on this sebum causing an irritation and flaking of the skin.
- Skin cancer is caused by the exposure to the UV rays Exposure to the sun during childhood periods, HIV infection, Radiation therapy and so forth. These are the risk factors that may predispose a person to having skin cancer.
- Psoriasis. The cause of psoriasis remains elusive and unknown; however there are factors which work together in leading to the condition. These are genetic characteristics and factors in the environment. It is common to find people belonging to the same family suffering from psoriasis. However ages of research on the main cause of the disease has not yielded tangible facts to suggest a cause.
- Acne: The symptoms for acne are skin lesions common in the face, chest and the back. These lesions could be white spots filled with pus, black spots or reddish pimples. Other symptoms are the skin cysts, pain and a tender skin.
- Eczema: Rashes which are itchy, blisters, red skin, Flakey skin, cracks in the skin etc.
- Seborrheic dermatitis: is indicated by inflammation in the skin, plaques of thick, dry reddish skin, existence of flakes or dandruffs on the head, in the eyebrow and beards.
- Skin cancer symptoms: small shiny and waxy lump in the skin that is pale in color, a red firm lump, rough scaly patches of skin and suspicious new growths.
- Psoriasis: The presence of psoriasis is indicated by reddish and thick skins which are also dry and raised. This typical skin is found around the elbows and the knees. It appears in different ways and can be in form of small sized flat bumps or large and thick plates of raised skin This formations are found in the areas that experience high friction e.g. the knees
Skin Disease Home Remedies
Remember, you should always consult with your physician in order to get a proper diagnosis and before trying to incorporate these home remedies and herbal remedies yourself! Here are some of the home remedies that you can try.
- Aloe Vera-Aloe Vera has numerous antibacterial benefits that have been confirmed by several scientific studies. Several researches on the effect of Aloe Vera on burns, radiation ulcers and skin ailments have proved that Aloe Vera reduces the degree of immune suppression. Because of the anti-inflammatory nature of Aloe Vera, it has been used in moisturizers, shampoos and first aid creams.
- Chamomile- Scientifically known as Matricaria recutita or Chamomilla recutita, it has been used for hundreds of years to treat not only skin ailments but also mouth ulcers, sleeplessness, anxiety, stomach upset, diarrhea and gas. It has been included as an ingredient in liquid extracts, tea, pills, creams and mouthwash. This is because chamomile aids in the regeneration of skin cells and acts as an antioxidant that fights free radical damage on the skin.
- Green Tea- The green tea extract is a product o Camellia Sinensis. The green tea extract has epigallocatechin gallate component which significantly boosts the body immune system and protects the skin from cancer. According to NCCAM, “the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine,” green tea rejuvenates the skin cells and causes them to start reproducing again. This keeps the skin looking younger.
- Castor oil- Castor oil has been used for many years to cure acne and sun burn because it is a natural skin tonic. It has fading properties which removes dark pigmentation from the skin. Castor oil should be used daily and may take a long time before the effects are seen, usually up to 2 months. Castor oil should not be used by pregnant women as it can induce labor.
Diet for Skin Disease
- A patient who is suffering from the skin blemish should insist on a proper diet made of Vitamins A,C and E. Foods which contain Zinc , selenium are highly encouraged as they prevent the skin blemishes and at the same time accelerate healing
- Fruits such as the oranges, guavas, gooseberries, carrots, water melons vegetables, seeds, nuts etc.
- One should desist from the consumption of foods with a lot of oils and fast and the foods with a lot of caffeine such as the chocolate, coffee and tea
- The diet should include a lot of drinking water to keep the body hydrated which leads to a healthy and perfect skin.
- Eczema-The diet for is come up with through the elimination of those foods which aggravate the symptoms such as eliminating coffee, nuts, dairy products, meats and sea foods, soya products etc. This can be done with the help of a doctor in order to eliminate the right foods and not all the food that are essential to the body.
- Seborrheic dermatitis-vitamin-A rich food which helps in maintaining good skin which is not susceptible to injuries. These foods include carrots, spinach, tomatoes, pumpkin, asparagus water melons etc. Foods rich in vitamin E , vitamin C (majority of vegetables) and fruits
- Skin cancer, the diet should have low fat content hence plant foods like the legumes are proper, sea foods i.e. the salmon and tuna. The diet should have more fibers like in kidney beans, garbanzo beans, whole bread, whole wheat etc. The diet should include lots of raw fruits and vegetables, white meat and more plant based diet than animal based meals.
- Psoriasis; since psoriasis is a genetic disorder there is no diet that will prevent it from affecting a person but the kind of diet a person takes will either worsen the symptoms or pacify them. It is recommended that a patient who suffers from psoriasis should take a lot of water, about eight to ten glasses a day. Equally the person should consume a lot of fruits and vegetables about five servings daily. Foods with a lot of sugar and fats should be limited or altogether avoided.
Prevention of Skin Disease
The prevention of these skin diseases are as follows:
- Proper diet- proper diet which is made up of more vegetables, fruits, whole grains and nuts is the best way of keeping skin blemishes at bay. This includes shunning those foods with very high oil and fat content and insisting on the diet which will encourage good skin condition. Drinking a lot of water should be cultured into an habit which is followed on a daily basis
- Proper Skin Cleansing- The patients and vulnerable people are encouraged to follow the correct skin cleaning and care routine. Regular skin exfoliation to remove the dead skin and cleaning to get rid of the dirt and oil from the surface of the skin
- Proper Blemish treatment- in the event that a blemish has appeared, one should not impatiently rapture the blemish but should apply the correct home remedy to ensure that the blemish heals easily and without developing further
- Avoid the things that cause the rash to flare up. This entails shunning the allergens such as soaps, detergents, etc
- It can be prevented by avoiding the causative agents and concentrating on the skin care, high standards of hygiene should be maintained with close attention paid to the diet.
- Skin cancer can be prevented by avoiding the direct UV rays and this can be done by sitting in the shade when the sun is hot, wearing protective clothes such as the cap, sun glasses and so forth.
- Psoriasis cannot be prevented due to the fact that it is genetically induced and this means there is no possible way avoiding it. Genetic engineering has not made a breakthrough though research is still undergoing.
114 total views, 1 views today