Sleeping disorder is a medical condition which involves the disruption of the normal sleep patterns. Also called somnipathy it can be serious enough to interfere with an individuals emotional mental and physical capabilities negatively. It involves deterioration in a person’s amount, quality and the timing of sleep and the behavior during sleep. This deterioration to qualify as a sleep disorder must be persistent for a period. Sleep disorder exist in many types; over seventy different types to be precise.
The diagnosis of sleep disorders involves taking into consideration a person’s age due to the fact that sleeping 0patterns vary with the person’s age. The most common sleep disorders are insomnia, sleep apnea, bruxism, snoring and night walking. It remains a very crucial thing to discover the cause of the sleep disorder because the treatment and the final cure of the disorder primarily depend on the elimination of the cause.
Sleep disorders can be successfully categorized into four classes
- the dyssomnia,
- the parassomnias,
- those caused by neurological and/or psychological complications and
- The sleeping sickness.
The Dyssomnia are a class which is associated which less sleeping as a result of disruptions of the nighttime sleep or poor sleep, in which case the condition is referred to as insomnia. The dyssomnias are a mixture of several conditions within the body system and yields other three classes;
- the intrinsic sleep disorder,
- the extrinsic sleep disorder and
- the Circadian-rhythm disorder
The intrinsic sleep disorders include narcolepsy which is the result of neurological disorder. The implication here is that the brain is incapable of controlling the amount of sleep an indiv8idual can have and therefore sleeps for long hours. The obstructive sleep apnea also fall in this category and is a condition in which an individual experiences alternating periods 0of deep and light sleep due to the pauses in the intake of air. It results in overall poor sleep and the general fatigue during the day. And finally the restless leg syndrome a neurological condition which compels a person to move the limbs during sleep as a means of offsetting the uncomfortable position of sleep. All this intrinsic sleep disorders are caused by factors that are within the body.
The extrinsic sleep disorders come to existence due to the prevailing factors in the external environment while the Circadian- rhythm syndrome is due to a cycle of sleeping and waking.
The Parassomnias are the most loathsome conditions as in this category include sleepwalking and the night terrors which occur during the sleeping time. In this category are also the REM- rapid eye movement parassomnias and the cycle of periods of sleep and wakefulness. Sleep walking entails the patient rising during slow wave sleep stage with partial consciousness and performing the chores they normally do in full consciousness, on the other hand night terrors involves the patients sleep suddenly cut short with screams and shouts of absolute terror and the patient’s behavior exhibit signs of fear and fright. Bruxism or grinding of the teeth, bedwetting, sleep talking, sleep sex and waking up hearing non existent loud noises are also examples of parassomnias.
Neurological or psychological complications that may lead to the sleep disorders include psychosis which is a condition in which the patient is deranged mad or has lost touch with reality, Mood disorders like being depressed or having anxiety, panic and alcoholism form part of this category
Sleeping sickness is a disease caused by a parasite which is transmitted to the body by the tsetse fly bite.
The medical problems or surgical complication, and neurological and/or psychiatric issues may and in most cases lead t sleep disorders. The medical conditions are asthma or heart condition, peptic ulcer or the obstructive sleep apnea
- Psychiatric disorders include the psychosis, mood problems and panic
- Alcoholism and drug intake can also induce insomnia or the long sleep. Alcohol particularly although used to sedate the body has the effect of disrupting the normal sleep pattern likewise the nicotine and caffeine found in tobacco and tea respectively inhibit the desire to sleep. These drugs therefore can lead to sleeping disorder
- A disruption in the cycles of sleep and wakefulness periods I.e. the circadian rhythmic cycle can lead too sleep disorder. This disruption leads to delayed sleep phase which means the patients stay in bed for long without falling asleep. Jet travel and night shift work disrupt the circadian cycle and lead to the delayed sleep phase disorder
- Mental and psychological stress along with the other environmental factors can cause sleep disorders. These events relate to financial problems, marital conflicts or issues the demands of work and such can induce insomnia which may linger long or persist even after the situations have been passed.
- Moving to a region of high altitude will also lead to sleep disorders due to the difficulty in breathing which will cause a lot of disturbance during sleep and a person will wake up a lot during sleep. This will take place a lot during the fast days and may abate with period taken in the region.
- Other factor like poor ventilation, noise, uncomfortable mattress or bed or high or even low humidity can disrupt sleep and lead to sleep disorder
- Excessive daytime sleepiness, falling asleep anywhere and anyhow,
- Fatigue and low concentration power
- Impairment of the motor skill and cognitive ability
- Taking long to fall asleep
- Waking inappropriately early even when you don’t want to do so
- Anxiety and depression
- Sno5ring and frequent movement in the sleep which constantly disrupts sleep
- Sleep walking and experiences of night terrors
- The rapid eye movement syndrome is at times accompanied my strong and abrupt movement with may injure the sleeping partner. The condition is connected to neurological problems
- Sudden and rapid loss of the t99one of the muscles as in the case of narcolepsy. This disorder is also indicated by the paralysis that grips the patient on waking up and having hallucinations.
Sleeping Disorder Home Remedies
Remember, you should always consult with your physician in order to get a proper diagnosis and before trying to incorporate these home remedies and herbal remedies yourself! Here are some of the home remedies that you can try.
- Try This– Make the bed comfortable by having a mattress which is not too soft and yet not to thin to make the bed hard. Look for the right pillow which will guarantee you the peace and comfort. In case the sleep by sound 9in the night the ear plugs will be helpful. The goal is to eliminate the cause of discomfort
- Limit Intake of Alcohol and Caffeine– It is advisable to limit the intake of alcohol and caffeine which will make you wake up in the night with a headache and a full bladder and consequently disrupt the sleep. In most cases after a disruption of the sleep due to the depletion of the effect of alcohol ij the body, it is difficult to fall asleep again.
- Sleep Schedule– For people who suffer from insomnia, it would be a great advice to keep a regular and strict sleep-wake timetable. This will help condition the mind to induce sleep at the time that you normally begin sleep and like wise terminate it when the right time comes
- Warm Milk– Drinking a glass of warm milk mixed with honey acts as a sedative and will induce ggod sleep and you will wake up without any tense feelings,
- Lettuce Juice– Lettuce juice induces wonderful sleep. a little amount of lemon juice can be added to the juice to improve its taste
- Try This– A mixture of cinnamon, butter milk and honey can also work magic in terms of alleviating sleeping disorders and inducing sleep
- Herbal Tea– Herbal teas made from a variety of hers like the chamomile, passion flower, lemon balm and peppermint among others can also be wonderful solution to the sleep disorders
- Try These– Other therapies to help relax the body are also approved to help sleeping ailments and this includes yoga, meditation, and acupressure and music therapy.
- Chamomile– Chamomile is one of the effective herbs that you can go for. It is a sedative herb that can be used by both adults and children. You can prepare a chamomile and consume it a number of times in a day or purchase the chamomile oil that is put in bath water.
- Lavender– You can also get Lavender which is a gentle strengthening tonic effective for the nervous system. You just need to add a few drops of the lavender oil in a bath water and you will get rid of your sleeping problems easily and within short duration.
- Passion Flower– Passion flower is also a great herbal remedy for sleeping disorders. It helps cure insomnia that is mainly caused by nervous exhaustion, overworking and mental worry. You just need to take 1 to 3 cups of the passion flower tea daily an alleviate insomnia.
- St. John’s Wort– St. John’s Wort is a yellow-flowered weedy herb that is one of the effective herbal remedy for sleeping disorders. It herbs relieve chronic insomnia and also mild depression. You can use it in different forms, you will get as a powdered extract, as a tablet or capsules or you can consume a teaspoon two to three times a day.
- Valerian– You can also use valerian herb to cure insomnia, restlessness and nervousness. This is an effective herb as it shortens sleep latency and also reduces night walking. You can also combine it with other herbs like skullcap, hops and California poppy and alleviate sleeping disorders without any complications.
- Try these– The other herbal remedies for smoking that you can get in herbal stores online or offline and that take care of sleeping disorders include kava kava, melatonin, wild lettuce and hop
- A healthy diet should be included in the diet as a means of alleviating the ailment and this entails taking Green and leafy vegetables, fruits such as lemons, and whole grains which help relax the mind.
- Mulberries, figs, grape fruits and bananas should be taken in plenty. It is necessary that the patient avoids cheese, eggplant, potatoes, tomatoes and spinach during the night.
- Foods which contain a lot of proteins induce alertness while those with high proteins content induce sleep. It is also a known fact that deficiency in food nutrients does lead to sleep disorders, it is there fore prudent to maintain a well balanced diet.
- Regular exercises and medi5tation should be adopted as a way of eliminating the sleep ailments.
- Eat light meals in the evening before going to bed. Heavy meals create digestive stress which will lead to complications in the sleep.
- Have a regular sleep wake cycle. Go to bed at the same time daily and wake up at a specified time.
- Caffeine, nicotine and alcohol intake late in the day should be avoided as this are the causative factors.
- The bedroom should be comfortable, well ventilated and well lit to ensure that sleep is free fro disruptions. Equip yourself with the eye mask and the earplugs to eliminate any possible unnecessary light or noise.
- Go for regular exercise which will make the body demand for sufficient rest. The exercise however should take place at least four hours before going to bed.
104 total views, 1 views today