There is no doubt that tonsils are defined as parts of the lymphoid system and they play a major role in ensuring that no infections occur in the mouth. It is important to note as well that there are 2 tonsils at the back of the throat. In case the tonsils are infected, that’s when tonsillitis occurs. What happens here is that, the tonsils tend to have an acute inflammation as they are overwhelmed with germs. This condition can occur as a single which means that it is not that serious. However, if the condition is recurrent, it is imperative for you to ensure that you see your physician as soon as possible to be provided with the correct diagnosis as there might be other underlying medical conditions. One can catch tonsillitis in many ways and being aware of how you can catch this condition will provide you with an opportunity to be more equipped to ward it off especially during the peak periods. Remember, the condition is more evident in young children although it can occur at any age.
Causes of Tonsillitis
There are various causes of tonsillitis some of which are major and some are minor. In short, it means that this condition can be caused by serious infections. As such, it is important for you to be aware of the causes so that you can take the necessary measures in advance to avoid being infected. Here are some of the causes of this condition.
- Viral Infections: It is believed that viral infections are the major causes of this condition. This in short means that, if an individual if infected with a viral infection that tends to cause tonsillitis, it means that the individual can easily spread it to another person. For instance, if you happen to shake the hand of the infected person, you are likely to suffer from this condition.
- Bacterial Infections: If you have any bacterial infection, the chances of you having tonsillitis are very high. There are times when the bacterial will simply build up at the back of the throat and because of the warmth inside, it will begin to grow. The best thing here is that, for a bacterial infection that causes tonsillitis can easily be treated but that of viral infection cannot.
Here, the causes will depend on the type of tonsillitis that you have been infected with. For instance, there is acute tonsillitis which is caused by various diseases and other bacterial infections.
Symptoms of Tonsillitis
The symptoms of tonsillitis are very common and are easy to identify. This means that in case the symptoms occur, you will be able to know that you have been infected by this condition. Here are some of the symptoms that you need to watch out for.
- Sore throat: This is a common symptom that is easily identified simply because it occurs during the early stages once an individual has been infected. In most cases, you will feel pain especially when you are swallowing.
- Loss of Voice: Even though this is less common, it is a symptom as well. Here, the infected person will tend to have a change or loss of voice requiring him to take the necessary action to cure it.
- Fever: Tonsillitis is mostly associated with fever in that; a person infected will tend to have about one hundred and one degrees fever. At times, the fever may be accompanied with chills.
- Swollen Lymph Nodes: When the condition is more severe, it means that you will experience some swelling of the lymph nodes around the neck. Tonsils may easily be visible at the back of the throat and may easily be identified with white spots or even pus. If the swelling becomes severe, it can result to discomfort requiring you to take pain medication.
Home Remedies for Tonsillitis
It is believed that tonsillitis is described as a childhood disease since it rarely occurs in adults. As such, those people who suffer from this condition will tend to go to lofty lengths to get relief. As such, remedies that can be used as a relief come in handy such as medicinal, herbal and home remedies. Home remedies are considered to be the best because they are effective, affordable and convenient. In short, it means that there are various substances that are readily available at home that one can use in lieu of expensive medicinal potions. Read on to learn some of the best home remedies that you can use in easing throat pain. Remember, you should always consult with your physician in order to get a proper diagnosis and before trying to incorporate these home remedies yourself!
- Drinking plenty of Fluids: It is important to ensure that you have drunk a lot of cold fluids on daily basis in order to help in curing this infection. It is important to keep off any acid drinks when you have tonsillitis as this will only worsen the symptoms that you have instead of relieving them.
- Warm salt water: Take some warm water and mix it with salt in order to form a solution. Take the solution and gargle it in the mouth by allowing it to rest carefully in the throat as much as possible. Repeat this several times for you to achieve the best results.
- Honey+ Lemon: Here, you will be required to mix 2 teaspoons of honey and lemon juice into a cup of boiling water. Remember, the parts should be of equal measures so as to get desirable results. Let the mixture cool before you can sip it.
- Drinking Beverages: The other home remedy that you can use in curing tonsillitis is by drinking beverages. Keep in mind that the beverages are not the ordinary beverages that you are used to. The beverages should be made from cucumbers, beets or carrots. Here, you have a choice in that, you can choose to mix them together or take a beverage of each food type.
- Lime: You can take a glass of warm water then squeeze some fresh lime into it. Form a solution before you can add a quarter tablespoon of salt and four tablespoons of honey. Once you have formed a solution, you are free to sip it slowly as this will help in healing the infection.
- Milk: Milk can be used as a home remedy for tonsillitis. However, you will be required to add some ingredients into it in order to achieve the best results. Take a pinch of both turmeric powder and pepper and add them to boiling milk. Let the mixture to cool down at room temperature before you can sip it.
- Dried Raspberry leaves: These leaves ware considered to be the best relief for this condition. All you need to do is to boil one cup of water and pout it directly to two tablespoons of dried raspberry leaves. Let it steep for about ten minutes before straining it. Let it cool down and afterwards gargle it in your throat as much as possible.
- Baking Soda: Many people would ask how baking soda is a remedy for tonsillitis. Well, here, you need to mix baking soda with the usual toothpaste for brushing teeth. Then add apple cedar to it so as to act as your mouthwash. The relevance of using the 2 substances is that, they have the ability of killing bacteria present in the mouth while at the same time ensuring that all the tonsillitis infections have been starved off.
- Hydrogen Peroxide: A majority of homes have hydrogen peroxide to carry out various purposes best known to the home owners. As such, all you need to do is to take a little of it and used it to gargle around the throat. As you do this, you MUST exercise a lot of caution not to swallow it as it may cause bodily harm.
- Echinacea– Echinacea is herb that has been believed top effectively boost the immune system and purify the blood. The use of the herb has been shown to also be effective in reducing inflammation and decreasing the pain and swelling of the tonsils. The herb should not be used longer than is required because it has some side effects such as dizziness. It is advised that the herb be prescribed by a qualified herbalist.
- Slippery Elm– Slippery elm is also another herb that is obtained from the bark of the elm tree. It is a useful herb that is used in treating of tonsillitis. It is effective in reducing irritation and soothing the throat membranes. The herb is usually sold in lozenge form or can be bought dried. The dry herb can be added to porridge or mixed with warm water and honey.
- Garlic– Garlic has been used for thousands of years to treat all kinds of illnesses including boosting the body’s immune system. It is rich in anti oxidants and properties for fighting off bacteria. It is therefore an effective herb that can be used to treat tonsils, flu and colds. Research has shown that the people who use garlic as a form of treatment usually heal faster than those who use other forms of medicine.
- Try This– A mixture of lemon, cayenne pepper and honey has been shown to be effective in treating of tonsils. This mixture helps to relieve the inflammation and pain of tonsils.
- Thyme– Thyme can also be used to treat tonsillitis. It helps to reduce headaches, fever, and the production of mucus. It has also been used for several years to treat chronic respiratory conditions such as sore throat and bronchitis. It also contains antiseptic properties which are essential for fighting off infections.
Diet for Tonsillitis
Since tonsillitis is considered to be a painful condition that one can have, it is important therefore to be very conversant with the type of foods that you eat. Your diet should be simple but well balanced. Read on to learn more.
- Ensure that the foods that you eat are soft such as soup, ice cream among others. The main aim of eating soft foods is that they don’t irritate the throat compared to hard foods. The soft foods will be gentler on the throat and this in turn will speed up your recovery.
- Your diet should not entail foods likes popcorn or chips as many people do. This is because these foods will only hurt your throat more and this may prolong the healing process.
- Your diet should include vitamin C especially citrus fruits because they help in eliminating the bacteria that causes this condition. Other good sources include guavas, red peppers and bell peppers among others.
Prevention of Tonsillitis
It has been established that tonsillitis is a condition that happens within the immune system. As such, one of the best prevention measures that you need to take is to ensure you have built a strong immune system. This can be achieved by eating nutritional foods which will help fight common viruses in the body. The others include the following:
- Ensure that you practice good hygiene to prevent diseases that have bacterial or viral infections from reaching you.
- Take fruit juices and other nutritional fluids such as water, vegetables juices, broth and tea that are not acidic in plenty.
- When you are recovering from tonsillitis, take breaks from talking by taking rest in order to speed up the healing process.
117 total views, 1 views today