Weight loss occurs when you lose weight and don’t have any explanation for it. If you did not plan it, indulge in a diet or exercise program, it is viewed as weight loss and it could be as a result of another underlying problem. It can be as a result of diseases that affect other parts of your body such as cancers, depression, sores in your mouth and digestive disorders. An individual’s body weight is determined by their calorie intake, age, overall health and nutrient absorption among other factors. Once you have reached adulthood, your weight is supposed to become relatively stable and while this is the case, if you happen to lose a couple of pounds, this should not raise concern.
However, in the event you lose 10 pounds or more and there is persistent weight loss, then the condition needs to be investigated thoroughly in order to ensure that if there is an underlying problem, it is addressed effectively. Whenever you note a persistent case of weight loss, it is advisable to consult with your doctor or physician in order to ensure that the root cause of weight loss is identified and addressed.
Causes of Weight Loss
In order to deal with weight loss effectively, it is important to have an idea of some of the factors that trigger the condition. This in turn makes it easy for you to have an idea of how to deal with the condition and if possible, find ways of preventing the same. Some of the major causes of weight loss can be highlighted as follows.
- Chronic altering of the taste sensations and mouth breathing that makes it impossible for you to enjoy your meals.
- Medication can also affect your appetite in a couple of ways and this causes weight loss. For instance, antibiotics are known to cause diarrhea and nausea and as such, this decreases your food intake. It is advisable to talk to your doctor about any potential side effects of the medication you are using.
- Lung disease symptoms.
- It is also caused by appetite loss as a result of dementia or other eating disorders like bulimia and anorexia nervosa.
- Excessive smoking is also known to be another major cause of weight loss in some cases and patients suffering as a result of this are advised to quit smoking.
The causes of weight loss are not limited to these mentioned above. They can vary in accordance to the factors that trigger weight loss episodes. It is precisely because of this reason that it is advisable to understand some of the symptoms you need to be on the lookout for.
Symptoms of Weight Loss
There are different types of symptoms that make it easy to identify weight loss and they can be grouped in accordance to the underlying condition or disease. In this case, weight loss symptoms can be broken down in the following categories.
- Gastrointestinal Symptoms
These are symptoms that affect the digestive system and they can be broken down into the following.
- Bad breath
- Dry mouth
- Abdominal pain or bloating
- Chronic constipation
- Mouth sores
- Appetite loss
- Pale feces
These are weight loss symptoms that affect the thought or behavioral process and they include the following.
- Excessive use of diet pills and laxatives
- Obsessive compulsive behavior
- A distorted body image
- Poor judgment, thinking or memory.
There are other symptoms that affect the body systems and some of these include the following.
- Eyes that are bloodshot
- Muscle mass loss or weakness
- Rash, itchy skin, darkening of your skin or breakout of pimples
- An extreme sensitivity to temperature
- Yellowed, blotchy or dry skin
- Body fat loss
There are instances when extreme weight loss symptoms might be noted and this is always an indication that you need to get immediate professional help. Some of these include the following.
- Excessive diarrhea
- Frequent fainting episodes
- Excessive body fat loss
- Excessive sweating
- Difficulty when breathing
Home Remedies for Weight Loss
The best way to deal with weight loss is to identify home remedies that work for your body and use them to your benefit. The best thing about these is the fact that they do not pose any danger and they are safe. Consequently, the home remedies you ought to try out include the following. Remember, you should always consult with your physician in order to get a proper diagnosis and before trying to incorporate these home remedies yourself!
- Try This– Mix 1 tsp of margarine, butter or olive oil and add this to hot foods such as potatoes, soups and vegetables. It adds 45 calories to your meal and as such, seen as one of the most effective home remedies for preventing further weight loss.
- Mayonnaise- You should eat mayonnaise rather than salad dressing. This is because it contains 100 calories and this is twice as much as that found in salad dressing and when you use this in all your salads, you will be in a position to regain your weight.
- Peanut Butter– Another home remedy that works wonders is the use of peanut butter in a liberal manner. peanut butter has 90 calories per tsp and loads of proteins and this goes a long way to help with weight gain.
- Milk Shakes– You should drink milk shakes that have high content of fats and add an egg or protein powder in order to increase the calories and boost up your ability to regain lost weight.
- Try This– You should keep healthy snacks that have high calories close by. Some of the snacks you need to try out in this case include walnuts, dried fruits, raw almonds, walnuts and olives.
- Try This– When taking cottage cheese, you should add some olive oil or flaxseed oil in order to increase the calories and increase the possibility of retaining your weight.
- String Cheese– String cheese is another effective home remedy and in this case, it is advisable to take this frequently in order to deal with weight loss effectively. Note that every stick has 80 calories.
- Eat Frequently– Another home remedy that works wonders is eating frequent meals. In this case, it is advisable to eat 5 to 6 small means in the course of the day and in time you will be able to regain your weight. Make sure that you include vegetables and fruits in your diet. While the idea is to ensure that you regain lost weight, there is also need to ensure that the foods eaten are healthy for guaranteeing long term good health.
- Ginger and Turmeric– Ginger and turmeric are great herbal remedies and this is because they reduce the feeling of nausea thus making it possible for you to enjoy your meals more.
- Protein– You should also increase your intake of proteins in order to speed up the rate with which you regain some of the lost weight.
- Chitosan- Chitosan is one of the most effective herbal remedies used by people from different parts of the world today. This is a sugar that is derived from crab, lobsters and shrimp. This herb works by blocking cholesterol and fats preventing their absorption. Studies have revealed that this herb is very effective in fostering weight loss even without restriction on calories. It is one of the most commonly used herbal remedy in the world today.
- Chromium picolinate- This is another herbal remedy. It is a mineral that works by enhancing insulin action in the body. This hormone is very critical in facilitating proper metabolic activities in the body. When used on daily basis, this herbal remedy enhances fast and effective weight loss.
- Linoleic acid- This acid is very effective in enhancing weight loss. It can be used as a supplement by people striving to shed excessive body weight. When used before meals, it gives the use a feeling of fullness reducing the amount of food they eat.
- Glucomannan- This is herbal remedy derived from Konjac plants. It works by blocking the absorption of fats in the body. However, it is important to note that this remedy has to be taken with high amounts of water. It also affects the rate at which other medications are absorbed in the body. Therefore, make sure that you are not on other medications while using this herbal remedy.
- Green tea- Extract from green tea is also very effective in facilitating weight loss. It works by decreasing appetite. It also increase fat and calorie metabolism. Better results are realized when green tea is used on regular basis.
Diet for Weight Loss
Your diet should be comprised of foods that don’t encourage the burning of fats in order to increase the possibility of putting on some extra pounds and regaining your body. As such, consider the following.
- Your meals should have high carbohydrates content. This is because when your body has a amount of this, it is broken down and stored as fats. This makes it easy for you to add a couple more pounds.
- You should have foods that are high in insulin. This is because it also slows down fat burning. Foods that are high in insulin ensure that you don’t burn fats efficiently and this makes it easy for you to add on some extra weight.
- Your diet should also have foods that are high in Glycemic Index. This is because they will induce sugar spice and this in turn increases the amount of insulin and this makes it difficult for your body to burn fats.
- Your diet should also be comprised of wheat flour and white rice which are also known to slow down the fat burning process.
Prevention of Weight Loss
The best way to deal with weight loss is to ensure that you prevent it before it gets out of hand. In this case, you need to consider taking the following preventive measures into consideration.
- The first thing you need to do is identify the factors triggering your weight loss. This is important as it gives you the chance to select appropriate remedies that make it easy for you to regain weight lost.
- You need to identify foods that help with weight gain and in this case, you should settle for foods that are high in calories. However, make sure that they are healthy as well in order to avoid any setbacks.
- You should have regular small meals in the course of the day. This is important as it boosts your appetite and increases your possibility of gaining weight.
- Consult with your doctor in order to get an analysis of the underlying problem and hence, get a way forward.
- Make sure that you adhere to a well balanced diet and avoid some of the things that make you lose your appetite for food. It is possible, hire a nutritionist in order to ensure you don’t suffer from cases of recurring weight loss.
155 total views, 1 views today