A cataract is described as a hazy obstacle that mostly affects the lens of the eye. When it persists, it has ability to cause a slight decrease in vision and in the long run can cause complete blindness. Since the lens have cells, it may reach a time when they easily die off and when this happens, the dead cells may get trapped within the pod that contains it. When this happens, loss of vision can be caused. When an individual has a cataract, it is like observing through a waterfall. It mostly takes places as individuals age due to buildup of protein. Since there are of different types, there are some cataracts that will never ever bother you at any given time period. On the other hand, there are other types that will bother your prompting you to take the best course of action. As such, it is important to take the necessary measures as soon as you can to keep off from being taken for surgery.
Causes of Cataracts
It has been said that a cataract is mostly associated with aging. However, this does not mean that younger people cannot be affected as well. As such, it is imperative to identify the problem as soon as you can so that you can visit an ophthalmologist to administer various tests to you. Read on to learn more.
- Solar radiation: Over exposure to solar radiation is considered to be a major cause of a cataract. There are some people who expose their eyes to solar radiation without using the appropriate devices and this can result to them getting cataracts.
- Smoking: Individuals who are habitual to smoking tend to get cataracts. It has been established that there is a powerful link when it comes to smoking and development of a cataract. A habitual smoker stands a higher chance of getting a cataract compared to a non-habitual smoker.
- Diabetes: It is believed that diabetes is a major cause of cataracts including eye problems. As such, it is important to ensure that your diabetes has been kept under control and this will in turn decrease the chances of you getting a cataract.
- Poor Diet: Unhealthy diet is considered to be a major cause of a cataract. If your diet lacks all the nutrients and minerals that are required for the perfect functioning of the body, you stand a high chance of getting a cataract.
- Microwaves: It has been established that microwaves tend to leak radiation more often and this in turn can cause cataracts.
Symptoms of Cataracts
It is important to take time to know the symptoms that are directly associated with cataracts. This is important as it will help you in knowing the best course of action to take one you are affected by a cataract. Here are some few symptoms to watch out for.
- Blurred Vision: The first symptom that you will experience when you have this condition is blurred vision. This means that your vision will be distorted and this will not give you a chance of seeing clearly.
- Glare Sensitivity: If you are not able to stare at a certain light for a long period of time, there is no doubt that you may have a cataract. This is because it makes an individual become sensitive to any light glare.
- Color Sensitivity: When an individual has been affected by a cataract, he or she may have color sensitivity. This means that at one time or the other, he may see colors that are not supposed to be seen. For instance, he may see a red color as orange while in reality it is red.
- Cloudy Vision: At times, a person who has a cataract may experience a cloudy vision that may prevent him or her from seeing properly.
Cataract Home Remedies
There are remedies that one can use in order to cure cataracts. These remedies however will solely depend on the type of cataract that has affected you. You need to see your physician as soon as possible to know whether the condition requires a surgery or can easily be taken care of using the provided remedies. Keep reading to learn more of the remedies. Remember, you should always consult with your physician in order to get a proper diagnosis and before trying to incorporate these home remedies yourself!
- Wearing Sunglasses: In case you work in a place where you are exposed to bright sunlight, it is important to wear sunglasses that will block powerful ultraviolet rays from reaching your eyes.
- Proper Lighting: Ensure that your home has been installed with the best lighting as this will help you to see clearly. Cataracts cause decreased visual disabilities as well as cloudy visions. Having proper lighting in your entire home will help you see clearly even during the night when natural light (sun) is not available.
- Quit Smoking: Since there is a strong bond that exists between smoking and a cataract, it is important to quit smoking. Smoking boasts development of cataracts and as such, it is highly advisable for you to quit smoking and see if there will be any improvement in your vision.
- Green Produce- In this case, your diet should be comprised of green produce such as cabbages, squash, potatoes, berries, and citrus fruits which are rich in vitamin C and high in antioxidants. Vitamin E is also essential and while it is not common in plants, sweet potatoes are high in the Vitamin.
- Beta-carotene and Carotenoids- These are also essential in fighting free radicals and they can be found in sweet potatoes as well. You can also find the same in carrots, apricots, winter squash, leafy greens and orange colored flesh. There is also a carotenoid known as lutein which is a powerful antioxidant and spinach has high amounts of this.
- Flavonoids- This is found in berries, red and purple colored fruits and it also puts radical damage to an end. Quercetin is among the top flavonoids which help diabetic people prevent accumulation of sugars in the eye and this aid in addressing cataract problems. Vegetables in the cabbage family such as broccoli are high in quercetin and lutein antioxidants.
- Bilberry Plant- Berries of this plant have high amounts of anthocyanidins and as such, considered an essential herbal remedy. It not only protects the lens but also the retina thus ensuring eye problems are kept at bay. In order to get hefty doses of this, you should use the extract of the berries. There are no side effects associated with this regardless of the amounts it is taken in.
- White Pepper and Almonds- You should take 10 grams of white pepper and mix this with 50 grams of almond. Grind these thoroughly and mix with 40 brown sugar grams and 10 ghee grams. Take 20 grams of this mixture every time and you will note an effective change.
- Onion and Honey- Extract onion juice and mix this with pure honey. Add camphor and grind to form fine pasty and fill this in a jar. Apply this to the eyes before going to sleep.
Diet for Cataracts
When it comes to a diet required by an individual affected by a cataract, it might be quite tricky. This is because there are some foods that should be avoided completely. Keep reading to learn more.
- Antioxidants: The diet that one takes should have plenty of antioxidants in order to fight any free radicals. Perfect sources include fruits e.g. berries which will play a major role in fighting free radicals that influence formation of a cataract. There are some antioxidants that come in pill form e.g. vitamin C, E and beta-carotene. Ensure that you include plenty of them in your diet. Additionally, ensure that there is increase intake of tomatoes, carrots, apples and sea vegetables among others to facilitate blood drainage to the eyes.
- Lower Sugar Intake: Cataract growth is mostly influenced by high sugar levels present in the blood. As such, it is important to ensure that your diet has low amounts of all sugars as this will help slow down cataract growth.
- Keep off Dairies: Most of the dairies are considered to be major influencers of sinus congestion which impedes blood and lymph drainage. This in turn causes interference with the nutrients that are moving spontaneously to the eyes. As such, it is important to give a red flag to dairies from your diet for about 1 week to approximately 1 month to lessen any sinus congestion.
Prevention of Cataracts
Even though a cataract cannot easily be prevented especially once it has occurred, it can easily be avoided with ease. Here are some of the measures that you can use in order to prevent any type of cataracts from affecting you. Here we go!!
- Firstly, it is important to visit an ophthalmologist as soon as you discover that you have any vision impairment. He will help you in determining the type and grade of cataract that you have and provide you with the best diagnosis.
- Ensure that you have eliminated cigarettes from your daily routine and replace them with enough supplements i.e. antioxidants. This will in turn help in reduction of cataracts within a given period of time.
- Wear protective eyewear to prevent any ultraviolet light from damaging your eyes. Protective eyewear will ensure that the amount of radiation that is reaching your eye has been reduced and this will provide the lens a chance to repair itself as required.
103 total views, 1 views today