Ear being among the five main sensory organs in a human body causes a great deal of pain if infected. The earaches mostly occur in the event of fluid building up in the middle part of the ear as a result of allergy, cold, or an infected throat. This fluid that has build up in turn leads to pain and inflammation in the interior of an ear.
The interior of an ear gets infected when bacteria or any other kind of germ from throat or nasal passage gets into the Eustachian tube, a tube that links the throat and nose. This tube swells in the event of a cold to an extent of getting blocked thus allows fluids to build up in the interior of an ear creating a favorable habitant for the germs or bacteria that ends up with an earache.
Causes of Earaches
One experiences pain that is so severe and beyond bearable bounds is experienced in the event of an earache. This could be as a result of vast number of causes outlined below:
- Water that enters into the ear in the event of swimming. This creates a favorable habitant for existence of bacteria thus exposes the interior of the ear to ear infections which leads to unbearable earaches.
- In the event of a loud noise a tear could result in the interior of an ear. This will definitely lead to an earache since a wound exists inside the ear. In presence of the causing factors the ear infection is very vulnerable to occur if a wound is already present as it supports existence of bacteria and viruses.
- A cold or rather a throat infection is other common causes of earaches. This introduces dampness in the inner side of the ear in the event of blowing of a nose or fluids rising up from the throat enter through Eustachian tube. This tampers with nasal tissues thus end up infecting the interior of an ear which brings about severe earaches as a result of the infection.
- In case of an infected upper respiratory system the nose membranes gets swollen hindering the normal fluids passage from the ear. This leads to building up of the fluids in the interior of an ear thus provides perfect habitant for existence of bacteria which results to an ear infections and then follows earache.
- Different kinds of allergies also cause interior ear infections as they introduce dampness in the body and causes blockage of air passage into the ear. This allows fluids to build up in the ear giving rise to ear infection which consequently leads to earaches.
- Some other causes of ear infections are some obviously simple things such as humidity. Most people do not think that this can lead to ear infection but in the real sense it really can. This introduces dampness towards the interior of an ear as it even condenses the air entering the ear. This is indeed a perfect supportive condition for existence of bacteria which leads to ear infections and as a result severe earaches follows.
- The water that is usually left undraped after taking a bath contributes so much in getting the inner ear damp. Once it gets into the ear, with the warmth in the interior alongside the moisture introduced are perfect for existence and growth of bacteria. This leaves the inner ear infected thus giving rise to severe earache.
The pain associated with earache that follows ear infection is paramount so it is of great importance to know the symptoms attached to ear infection so as to deal with it before things gets worse.
Symptoms of Earaches
The signs and symptoms of earache depend on the person infected. In case of a person old enough to express his or her feeling it is easier to depict an earache as it is something severe enough to let know. However, in the event the ear infection lands on small babies who cannot even speak out what they feel inside themselves it becomes a bit hard. They will simply cry out loudly or try to touch their ear though in the event it is infected the pain gets severe such that it renders it untouchable. If this is the case then the below signs and symptoms can help you identify that a child is suffering from an earache:
- Showing signs of a certain irritation.
- One is totally restless as the pain is kind of unbearable.
- Finding a difficult in hearing what is being communicated.
- A noticeable loss of appetite
- Finding it hard to sleep.
- Vomiting and a nauseating feeling.
- Fluids draining from the ear
- Feeling dizzy
- Feeling pressure mounting in the ear
These signs and symptoms outlined above are more common with small babies who are still breast feeding. In the event of feeding they suckle in a way that strains sore ears thus lead to earache if the ear is already infected. As a result of this they end up finding difficulty when feeding and cannot even find sleep as the earache gets so severe to bear.
Earache Home Remedies
There are some home remedies and herbal remedies which can help in curing an earache. Remember, you should always consult with your physician in order to get a proper diagnosis and before trying to incorporate these home remedies yourself! Here are some of the home remedies and herbal remedies that you can try.
- Grapefruit Juice– You can also try grapefruit juice and insert three drops of its juice into the ear and relief any pain that you may be experiencing.
- Holy Basil– Holy basil leaves can also be useful. You need to prepare juice with the leaves and put a few drops in the aching ear to get an instant relief.
- Try This Tea– The other effective herbal remedy for earache is combining goldenseal, purple coneflower and mint into tea. By taking this tea, you will reduce or prevent ear infection especially, when you have a cold or sore throat. Mint contains menthol that has effective antiseptic properties that help kill bacteria and viruses that cause infections.
- Witch Hazel– You can also try Witch Hazel if you want to get rid of earache. It is great for treating swimmer’s ear. You need to make a tincture if this herb with Oregon grape roots and calendula and apply it on the outer ear.
- Ajwain or Bishop’s Weed– Last but not list, the oils of Ajwain or the Bishop’s Weed is also good for earache or any other related condition. You need to take some of this oil and mix with Sesame oil and then warm it a little bit and put the mixture of the oil in the ears.
- Garlic- This is the most economical remedy for earache since two cloves are equally strong as a grown up's penicillin dose. To kill off the earache you only require dripping two drops of garlic oil in each of the infected ears and also apply it on the area surrounding the ears. Also consider rubbing it at the feet's bottom at night as this will get rid of the pain totally.
To make your garlic oil at home you will require two spoons of olive oil and a clove of garlic chopped well. These two are combined in a container and closed then left for sometime, for instance two hours. The longer the grace period the oil stays the stronger it will get to be. After you are done with using the mixture you can get rid of the garlic and store the oil left in a refrigerator to use it next time you require it.
- Mullein- This is another potential herbal remedy for earache just as garlic is. When combined in the same way garlic is combined with oil it makes up a good remedy for the pain in the ear. Similarly, get rid of mullein in the oil before applying it as a remedy for earache. It is prepared the same way as garlic oil.
- Essential oil- This is another potential treatment for earache although it requires carrier oil such as coconut oil which is fractioned or some olive oil to dilute it. Basil is reportedly the best essential oil although other type’s likes of cinnamon, rosemary, or eucalyptus serve the purpose as well.
- Chamomile Flowers- The antibiotic that features in the solution of this flower helps to resolve earache. About two spoons of chamomile are placed in hot water for twenty minutes then strained out of the water and applied with a clean.
- Olive oil- This require to be heated for a very short time about half a minute then applied to the ear where the pain is coming from.
- Onions- Introduction of a few warm drops of onion juice gets rid of earache with immediate effect.
The remedies described above are easily available at home so you do not have to suffer a lot when you have a cure for earache at your disposal.
Prevention of Earaches
It is worth noting that prevention is better than cure. Prevention tips can help you save a lot of time and money that could be required to cater for the remedy.
Below are some prevention tips to help you keep off ear infections thus stay away from earache:
- The moments you are done with bathing or swimming consider getting your ear dried thoroughly to avoid damping your ears making them vulnerable to ear infections.
- As soon as you notice signs and symptoms of cold or sinus consider getting a remedy for them immediately as they could result into ear infections.
- Avoid introduction of sharp objects into the ear as this could pierce the internal parts leaving behind a wound which would consequently lead to earache.
- Always avoid exposing yourself to very loud noise as this proves to be injurious to the internal parts of your ear thus a very possible source of earache. If loud noise is inevitable given the nature of your day to day activities, then consider having ear plugs in place in the event of the activities.
- Maintaining high standards of hygiene will ascertain that your ears are not favorable habitant for bacteria thus you will have kept ear infections at bay.
- Consider avoiding diets which encourage internal body dampness or go for those recommended for maintaining body heat and drying the dampness.
117 total views, 1 views today