Some people are accustomed to eating too much food , while others are used to eating insufficient amounts of food. This indeed causes severe disturbances on their diets. Such people can be said to be suffering from eating disorders .
Eating disorder is a condition that prompts people to start eating too much food or too little food at some point, then progresses and they start eating uncontrollable amount of food or too little food. This condition is more prevalent in teenagers that it is in adults, but at times adults too can find themselves at the whims of this conditions. Teenagers that are ten years and at times young adults, are highly susceptible to this condition than any other person within other age groups. At some extreme cases, the condition can become more adverse and turn into other types of complex eating disorders. Among these types of complex eating disorders that have attacked many people allover the world include anorexia and bulimia.
It is also worth noting that eating disorders attack both men and women as well.
Causes Of Eating Disorders
There are many causes that are attributed to this condition. Doctors and other health specialist have pointed out that the causes of eating disorders are so many that no one can point a specific cause , and use it to claim that it is solely responsible for this condition. The causes of eating disorders can be broadly be classified into the following.
- Negative influence-Negative influence from peers and other family members have largely been attributed to eating disorders. Numerous studies have also indicated that influences emanating from all quarters have a hand in the cause of this disorder. At some point , poor parenting have been named as one form of influence that have increasingly continued to be a cause of this condition. Parents who are accustomed to eating too much or too little food, risk influencing their young one to emulate them. This way they will not be spared by eating disorder. Friends too can influence one to take on to eating habits that are deemed responsible for eating disorder. For instance friends might influence on to eat too much , thus resulting to this condition.
- Genetic Factors-Eating disorder has also been linked with genetics. Doctors have maintained that the condition is more prevalent in teens whom their relatives had suffered from it, as opposed to those whom their relatives have never been attacked by it. In addition, twins have a probability of sharing eating disorders. Other research have indicated that eating disorder is at times caused by some specific chromosomes. Consequently, this condition can be shared by people with such chromosomes.
- Hormonal Abnormalities-Hormonal abnormalities have also been closely been linked with eating disorders. Among these hormonal abnormalities that have been deemed responsible for causing eating disorders includes the chemical defects in the thyroids, reproductive organs and other areas that are influenced by hormones. They are hormones that are also attributed to eating disorders if they are suppressed. Among them includes the hypothalamus , the hormone that is responsible for regulating the behavior such as eating. It suppression may therefore translate to eating much or under eating, which are all causes of eating disorders. Chemical changes in hormones also plays a part in eating disorders. This is partly due to the fact that, some hormone might produce too much or too little chemicals thus triggering the body to start consuming more or very little food. This in return will translate to developing this eating disorder.
- Cultural factors-Culture has also been named as one of the causes of eating disorder. This is is due to the fact that approach to food, varies from one culture to the other. In some cultures, for instance the western one, there is a lot of food production. This therefore lead to the scenario whereby people from this type of culture will tend to have a lot to eat at their disposal. This therefore means that they will be at a higher chance of developing eating disorders , than the people who hails form cultures that have scanty food supplies for consumption. In such cultures where there is a lot of food production, one can also develop other conditions that results from eating disorders. Among them includes obesity. Similarly, people who hail from cultures that have less foods for consumption, are also subject to this condition. This is partly because of the fact that they will be forced to consume less food, that is below the average amount needed for body consumption. This will also amount to eating disorders that emanates from eating less food.
Symptoms of Eating Disorders
Eating disorders too have symptoms just like the other diseases and conditions. It is also worth noting that the symptoms of this condition vary, depending on the type of eating disorder. Among these types of eating disorders and their symptoms include
- Anorexia Nervosa-This is among the eating disorders that have been common in many teens. People who are suffering from this type of eating disorder are prone to eating insufficient amounts of food, which at times may extend to the point of starvation. Key among its symptoms includes,refusing to eat, acute fear of gaining weight , dry skin among the many signs and symptoms of this eating disorder.
- Bulimia Nervosa-This is yet another body disorder that attacks kids and adults, regardless of their age . This disorder forces one to consume huge amounts of foods within a short duration of time. At extreme cases, people who are suffering from this condition are accustomed to eating too much and then forcing themselves to vomit. Key among its signs and symptoms includes eating too much , till one experiences discomfort or pain,lack of controlling ones eating behavior, dehydration among the many symptoms of this eating disorder.
- Binge Eating Disorder-This is another type of eating disorder, where by the person who is suffering from it takes on eating too much food and yet fails to exercise. The funny part of this eating disorder is that when one becomes hungry, they will eat to the point of discomfort. Among the symptoms that are attributed to this eating disorders includes among them excessive eating, eating fast and lack of controlling ones eating behavior.
Apart from these eating disorders and their signs and symptoms, there are other signs and symptoms that have generally been attributed to eating disorders. Among them includes avoiding food, excusing one feelings of not eating and poor eating habits.
Eating Disorder Home Remedies
Remember, you should always consult with your physician in order to get a proper diagnosis and before trying to incorporate these home remedies and herbal remedies yourself! Here are some of the home remedies and herbal remedies that you can try.
- Gymnema– One effective herb that you can go for and reduce or treat eating disorder is Gymnema. This is a great herbal remedy that blocks the tastes and metabolism of sugar that many consume before eating. Hence, it can help break an addiction to sugar easily.
- Amla– Amla is another essential herbal remedy for eating disorders. It is rich in nutrients mainly vitamin C and it also has a laxative effect. You can also use it top boost you immune system.
- Ginger– Many people use Ginger to take care of eating disorders and its symptoms. It helps stimulate circulation to all parts of the body and also improves digestion and also aids in detoxification.
- Nettle– Nettle is also the other traditional herbal remedy that has been used to cure cellulite and gets rid of water retention in the body.
- Fennel Seed– You can also take the Fennel seed which is a natural appetite suppressant. It also helps to control cravings for food.
- St. John’s Wort– You cam also take the St. John’s Wort which is a natural antidepressant and also helps to get rid of any anxiety. Additionally, it has also been in use to treat emotional eating.
- Licorice– If you feel like snacking, you should eat licorice as it is a great diuretic and it will also help improve kapha imbalances.
- Burdock– You can also try the Burdock herb has it helps improve fat metabolism and rids the body of water retention. Additionally, it is essential for liver, kidney and intestinal function among other benefits.
- Yerba Mate– Lastly, you can go for the Yerba mate. This is an effective herbal remedy that helps to block appetite and stimulates metabolism. It is also rich in nutrients, vitamins and minerals; hence it is essential for the body.
Diet For Eating Disorders
It’s worth noting that there are no specific diets that are recommended for people who are suffering from this condition. This is due to the fact that the problem with this condition lies on eating too much or too little, rather than what to eat or what not to eat. For this reason there comes diet pills, that are manufactured with the sole aim of suppressing the appetite of these people who area suffering from this condition. For those that are accustomed to eating too much, there are diet pills that will help them to reduce their appetite. And for those that are consuming too little food, there are diet pills that can boost their appetite.
Prevention of Eating Disorders
There are also ways that can be used to prevent this condition from affecting more people. For parents, they are urged to set a good precedent on how to have good eating habits. This is key in ensuring that there children emulate good eating habits from the start. This therefore calls for parents to desist from giving their children too much or too little food, which is definitely the cause of eating disorder.
It is also recommended that one should say no to all influences that might lead one to picking habits that could lead to eating disorders. This therefore calls for one to come into terms with the fact that too much or too little food can play a role in the development of this condition. Most importantly, those that are suspecting themselves to be subject to this condition, ought to seek medical attention before it leads to more adverse consequences.
Having done that, there will be few cases of eating disorders.
89 total views, 1 views today