Fever is also known as controlled hyperthermia or pyrexia. It is a condition where the body temperatures rise above the normal 36-37C range and it is viewed as a medical sign that all is not well. As the temperature rises, one might experience cold sensations until they reach a plateau point. A high body temperature is an indication that the body is attempting to fight an infection. The rising of the body temperature makes it easy for the individual to resolve the infection. However, there are instances when fever levels get too high thus causing further complications.
Most doctors say that if the fever is mild, there is no point in worrying because there is no point of brining it down. However, when it is severe it might be as a result of a virus or bacterium that causes infection. The medications used to bring fever down are known as antipyretics and they are recommended when the fever causes undue discomfort. What is more, doctors argue that when the fever goes above 39.4 C it needs immediate redress because this is not mild.
Causes of Fever
Fever might be caused by different factors and while this is the case, the following are the most common.
- Fever might be caused by a virus.
- It can be bacterial infection
- It can be as a result of heat exhaustion
- Extreme sunburn can also cause fever
- There are inflammatory conditions like rheumatoid arthritis which refer to inflammation of your joint lining and this also causes fever.
- It can be as a result of malignant tumor
- Use of medications like antibiotics and drugs that used for the treatment of seizures and blood pressure.
- Immunizations like tetanus, diphtheria, pneumococcal vaccines or accellular pertussis.
There are instances when identifying the case of the fever might be impossible even after consulting your doctor.
Symptoms of Fever
The symptoms of fever are easy to identify and in this case, they will include temperatures that are above the normal range. What is normal for one person however, might be abnormal for another and it is for this reason that you need to consider the following symptoms.
- Muscle aches
- Decreased appetite
- General weakness
- Muscle aches
For high fevers that are above 39.4C and 41.1 C some of the symptoms you need to be on the lookout for include the following.
Fever Home Remedies
The best way to deal with fever is to use some home remedies and in this case, some of those that you need to try out include the following. Remember, you should always consult with your physician in order to get a proper diagnosis and before trying to incorporate these home remedies and herbal remedies yourself! Here are some of the home remedies and herbal remedies that you can try.
- Drink Lots of Fluids– When you have a fever, you lose a lot of fluids and as such, it is advisable to drink plenty of fluids. This not only replaces what you lose but also ensures that your body temperature comes down.
- Relax– You should take some time off to relax as much as possible. This is ideal as it restores your strength and thus, ensures that you don’t feel too drained.
- Avoid changes in the atmosphere– You should try as much as possible to avoid any sudden atmospheric changes because these are only known to make your fever worse.
- Avoid Solid Foods– Try not to eat solid foods as long as you have the fever. Wait till it comes down to eat and rather than solid foods, make sure you have plenty of distilled juices and water.
- Cool Baths– You should have cool bathes. You can fill your tab with water and submerge in it. Lay there for 5 minutes approximately and the fever will go down.
- Let it take its course if fever is under 102 degrees– If your fever does not go above 102 degrees, it is advisable to let it take its course. This is ideal because it helps eliminate toxins and at the same time, fights infection.
- Pineapple- you should eat fresh pineapples because they are known to be great anti-inflammatory agents. These will help you fight fever and they are also packed with essential juice which is important for preventing dehydration.
- Tartar cream- This is known as an effective fever tea and as such, an ideal remedy. Combine 1 ½ tsp of this cream with ½ tsp of lemon juice, 2 ½ warm water cups and ½ tsp of honey. Drink at least four to six ounces of this at a time and it will come in handy as an effective fever remedy.
- Raisins- In this case, you have to take ¾ cup of raisins that have been chopped and place them in 7 ½ cups of water and bring this to a boil. Simmer till the water is reduced to a third and drink this through the day in order to ensure you stay hydrated.
- Popsicles- This is another essential home remedy when suffering from fever. You can also opt top use juice fruit bars which are just as important. This is an especially effective way of ensuring that kids stay well hydrated for the duration they have a fever.
- Apple water- This tastes good relieves fever miseries and also keeps the body well hydrated. In this case, you have to peel 3 sweet apples and place them in a pan. Add 3 ¾ cups of water and bring this to a boil. Simmer till the apples are close to mushy and strain. Add two tsp of honey and enjoy the fever remedy.
- Blackberry vinegar– This is known as a great elixir as far as fever is concerned. You will need several days in order to prepare this and you can use cider vinegar over 2 pound or 2 blackberries. This should be covered and stored in a cool place for 3 days. It should then be strained for one day since it takes time to get juice from them. Collect this liquid and put it into a different container and add 2 sugar cups to 2 ½ cups of juice. Bring this to a boil and simmer it for 5 minutes while skimming scum from the top. Store this in an airtight jar and place it in a cool location, mix 1 tsp of this with water for the purpose of quenching your thirst as long as you have the fever.
- Fruit Juice– Fruit juice is also an ideal remedy because it replaces the fluids you lose as a result of sweating.
- Lettuce– Lettuce is also an excellent choice and in this case, you have to place the lettuce in a pint of water and boil this. Let it steep and cover it for 15 minutes. Strain the mixture and sweeten it before drinking. It is an ideal way of staying well hydrated and it also helps you sleep better.
- Lemon- Lemon is among the herbal remedies for fever, that is used for by many communities allover the world to counter fever. When mixed with hot water, lemon has the ability to subdue fever within the shortest time possible.
- Angelica- Angelica is a garden herb that is used in preparing drinking infusions that has the ability to heal fever. However, it needs to be mixed with specific quantities of water, in order to have a drinking infusion that upon drinking will heal fever.
- Oregon grapes- Oregon grapes are the other herbal remedy to fever, thanks to its high content in vitamin C, which is beneficial in healing fever. In addition, it has the ability to boost the immune system thus preventing fever from becoming more severe. It also helps in reducing the high temperatures that come along with a fever.
- Rosemary- Rosemary too has been used as herbal remedy to fever. It can be mixed with other types of herbs and water, in order to make a drinking infusion that will heal fever within the least time possible. However, it should be taken in small quantities, for it has negative side effects on the body.
- Angostura- Angostura is herb that is also used as an herbal remedy for fever. It has been used in ancient times among many communities for treating fever. It inhibits growth of some bacteria which are linked to the cause of fever. In addition, this herb also boosts the immune system thus treating other infectious diseases that are characterized by fever.
- Echinacea- Echinacea is the other type of herb that has for long been used as herbal remedy for fever. It is ideal for curbing fever in children it enables children to relax when they are suffering from fever. It also plays a key role in stimulating the immune system thus enabling one to recover from fever quickly.
Diet for Fever
By eating right and getting plenty of rest, it is possible to bring your fever under control and as such, the following are some the things you need to consider.
- Patients are advised to take plenty of fresh juice and water during the first days after fever outbreak. A glass of juice after every 3 hours is beneficial for enhancing overall health. In this case, you should drink orange juice because it is rich in vitamin C and as such, boosts the ability of the body to recover naturally.
- Patients suffering from fever are also advised to eat plenty of fruits that are rich in minerals and vitamins because they also speed up the recovery process. Some of the fresh fruits you need to consider include pineapple, peach, apple, grapes and apples.
- Make sure that you drink at least 3 liters of water everyday for the purpose of flushing out toxins and speeding up your recovery.
- After the fever subsides, you should settle for a diet that is soft. This includes boiled eggs, porridge, yoghurt and vegetable soups.
- These are easy to digest and they also supply your body with enough energy for the purpose of speeding up the recovery process. Rice porridge that has ginger and vegetable broth is also an ideal diet choice. It is easy to digest and ginger has some anti-inflammatory properties which are essential for speeding up the healing process.
- There are certain foods you need to avoid when you have a fever. This includes fried foods, chicken, fast foods, raw foods and junk. These are difficult to digest and they are also known to strain the intestinal gastro system and this is not ideal for someone with a fever.
Adhering to a healthy lifestyle is important for addressing fever issues and as such, you should increase your intake of green vegetables, water, fresh fruits and dairy products that are low fat. This will boost the immune system and ensure you enjoy a healthier lifestyle.
Prevention of Fever
You can prevent fever in a couple of ways and some of these are as highlighted below.
- You should wash your hands frequently and teach your children how to do the same. This is especially true after they eat, use the toilet or spend some time in crowded places.
- Teach children how not to touch the nose, eyes and mouth because these are the major ways through which these viral infections are spread.
- Teach children how to cover the mouth while sneezing or turn away from other people in order to ensure they do not spread the fever virus.
96 total views, 1 views today