For you to be able to understand perfectly well what hemorrhoids really are, it is important that you begin by defining them. The best description that can be used in reference to hemorrhoids is that they are veins around the anal area or the rectum that are inflamed and swollen. The main reason that leads to the swelling and inflammation of these veins is the increase of pressure in the abdomen. This makes the blood in the veins along the anal area to back up inside the blood vessels. In this situation, the veins along the anal area are forced to stretch out of their normal shapes and then finally bulge forming hemorrhoids.
When looking at hemorrhoids, you should also know that there are two types of hemorrhoids. These include the internal hemorrhoids and the external hemorrhoids. Below is an illustration of the two types of hemorrhoids:
- Internal hemorrhoids: These occur inside the anus and are not usually painful although they at times cause so much discomfort. In case a stool gets into contact with them, they may produce minimal bleeding.
- External hemorrhoids: This type of hemorrhoids develops along the outer circle of the anus and is often painful as a result of the sensitivity of the skin around them. In certain occasions, they rupture and bleed. It occurs like a round swelling outside the anus.
It also needs to be noted that hemorrhoids do not occur based on age or even gender. They can occur to anyone under certain conditions. Such conditions can be determined by looking at some of the causes of hemorrhoids as expressed in this article.
Causes of Hemorrhoids
Hemorrhoids are a common health problem that a variety of people are faced with often. However, very few people are concerned with the need of determining what really causes the health problem. You should know that when you are aware of the causes of hemorrhoids, you would be able to avoid any conditions that might lead you into suffering the discomfort and pain that comes with them.
There are two factors that are the main causes of hemorrhoids; these factors are diet and straining in the toilet. However, there are also other factors that might also cause hemorrhoids. Below is a list of the causes of hemorrhoids:
- Diet: When we eat foods that have got less fiber and roughage content, we risk suffering from hemorrhoids. Those who eat foods that are processed may experience hemorrhoids more often compared to those who occasionally change their diet with bits of fiber. This is because when your diet lacks fiber, you are able to easily get constipated which will definitely lead to hemorrhoids.
- Straining in the toilet: A variety of the modern toilets are designed with features that encourage straining while being used. However, there are also those who engage in other activities like reading while having long calls. Such activities that add undue pressure to the veins around the anus may cause hemorrhoids.
- The other factors that can also cause hemorrhoids include diarrhea, the use of laxatives, heredity, age, tumors in the pelvis among others. In women, pregnancy is always a factor that may cause hemorrhoids since the unborn baby inserts pressure on the veins lining the anus.
Symptoms of Hemorrhoids
There are those who have had an experience with hemorrhoids while there are also others who may have faced the problem without even noticing that they are having them. The internal hemorrhoids are the ones that might pass unnoticed since they are not usually painful. However, they cause mild discomfort. It is important that as you attempt to get knowledgeable about hemorrhoids, you also need to know some of its symptoms. This will help you in seeking help at the right time in any case you faced with the health problem. Below are some of the symptoms of hemorrhoids:
- Bleeding during bowel movement
- Rectal pain
The above are some of the major symptoms of hemorrhoids. Bleeding during bowel movement is caused when stools rub themselves against the swollen hemorrhoids. This makes them to burst out with blood that is trapped inside the blood vessels in the hemorrhoid veins. This comes with too much pain and discomfort especially to those who are having the external hemorrhoids. However, those who are having external hemorrhoids, itching is one of the main symptoms that you will encounter. This is because the internal hemorrhoids do seep mucus that whenever drops on the anal skin, is able to cause irritation.
Hemorrhoids Home Remedies
In case you are experiencing hemorrhoids, there are several ways through which you are able to get help. These include natural remedies and even medication that can be obtained from the chemists. However, it is always important that whenever you begin noticing the symptoms, you need to consult with your doctor. This is because, at times, it may not be hemorrhoids but another form of infection that you are experiencing. The doctor will have to examine you and then tell you if in deed you are having hemorrhoids. Below are some of the home remedies that you can use in addressing hemorrhoids: Remember, you should always consult with your physician in order to get a proper diagnosis and before trying to incorporate these home remedies and herbal remedies yourself! Here are some of the hemorrhoids home remedies that you can try.
- Fiber- Fiber is one of the best remedies to hemorrhoids basing on the fact that lack of it in the diet is one of the causes of the health problem. Fiber helps in fighting a variety of the symptoms of hemorrhoids and also bleeding. When you begin including fiber in your diet whenever you are faced with hemorrhoids, fiber will be able to soften your stools and even increase their bulk. This will ensure that you do not have to strain the toilet. In order to obtain more fiber in your diet, eat foods like whole grains, vegetables and fruits. However, there is also a powdered fiber supplement, Psyllium that you can obtain from food stores. The other option for fiber is ground flex seeds. It is advisable that you drink lots of water despite the kind of fiber that you are using in order to avoid constipation.
- Horse Chestnut- This is a medicinal herb that is also known as Aesculus Hippocastanum and one of its main uses is to offer relief to inflammation and swelling which are some of the symptoms of hemorrhoids. Besides, the herb is also used to strengthen the walls of blood vessels. All these properties are as a result of the active compound in the herb that is known as aescin. The herb can be taken in the form of capsules or tea while there is also another form that can be applied outside the anal area. However, you need to note that only those products that are made from the bark or the seeds of Horse Chestnut's young branches are to be used since the other parts are poisonous. The products might also have some side effects that you may need to ask your doctor about before using.
- Try These- The other remedies that can also be applied to hemorrhoids include regular soaking of the anal area in a warm bath, application of ice packs onto the anal area to relieve the swellings, using herbs like the Butcher's Broom, Bioflavonoids among others.
- Witch Hazel– Witch hazel is another herbal treatment that has been used for years to treat hemorrhoids. It has astringent properties which are essential for treating hemorrhoids. Astringent substances are responsible for causing tissues to contract. Witch hazel relieves itching and can be applied topically. The herbal preparations are prepared from the twigs, leaves and bark of the tree.
- Psyllium– Pysllium is a commonly used herb to treat hemorrhoids and is rich in fiber. In fact most people tend to use this herb as a natural laxative r to add more fiber to their diet. Since constipation is known to be the main cause if constipation and has been known to cause pain when passing stool for people with hemorrhoids, then Pysllium is used to relieve some of the pain by softening the stool. Seven grams of the herb should be taken three times a day.
- Goldenroid– Goldenroid is another herb that can be used to treat Hemorrhoids. It has been used for many centuries to treat a number of diseases including Hemorrhoids. It has anti-inflammatory and microbial properties and thus makes effective treatment for hemorrhoids. It is usually included in a number of creams and can be purchased at any food store. The cream should be applied on the affected area. If you decide to use the ointment instead, you should dilute it with water in order to help keep skin irritation at bay.
Before using any of the remedies that are listed above in addressing hemorrhoids, it is advisable that you consult with a doctor or health professional since some may have side effects that may not go down well with you.
Diet for Hemorrhoids
Dieting is always known to be a major factor that anyone seeking to lead a healthy life has to give precedence. However, in case you may be having hemorrhoids, there is a special dieting procedure that you need to stick to. It is recommended that one who is experiencing the health problem needs to consume foods that help in keeping a soft stool. Below are some of the requirements for hemorrhoids diet:
- Fiber rich diet: Mostly consume foods like fruits, vegetables, whole grains or even those with fiber supplements. These will help in the prevention of constipation and development of hemorrhoids.
- Wheatgrass juice: This helps in aiding effective digestion.
- Fluids: Drink at least eight glasses of fluids excluding alcohol every day. This will ensure a soft and bulky stool that eliminates straining during bowel movement.
Those who are suffering from hemorrhoids should avoid foods that have high sugar and fat contents.
Prevention of Hemorrhoids
It is said that prevention is always better than cure; this is very true since it will save from the stress of moving up and down in search of the remedies and also the cost of obtaining them. There are several ways through which you are able to prevent hemorrhoids form occurring to you. Below are some of them:
- Eating a diet that is high in fiber content. In case you cannot access the foods rich in fiber, you may use fiber supplements.
- Drinking plenty of fluids regularly.
- Practice better and healthy bowel habits.
- Pregnant mothers should often try sleeping on the side to help in lowering the pressure that is inserted on the blood vessels in the anal area.
95 total views, 1 views today