High Blood Pressure
Also referred to as hypertension, high blood pressure is considered to be among the chronic diseases that affects a variety of people across the world today. In fact, the condition has got so worse such that currently, it is estimated that one person out of three people in the United States has got high blood pressure. Blood pressure is the force of blood that pushes against the arterial walls during the time that the heart is pumping blood. In the event that the pressure rises and maintains that position for sometime, it is said that one has got high blood pressure which is capable of causing damage to the body in different ways.
High blood pressure is capable of causing damage to the kidneys, blood vessels, and the heart among other parts of the body. You need to note that for it to be discovered that one has got high blood pressure; he or she will need to be taken through an examination from where blood pressure is measured. Blood pressure is measured in:
- Systolic: This is blood pressure that occurs when the hearts beats while at the same time pumping blood.
- Diastolic: This refers to the blood pressure between heart beats when the heart is at rest.
When looking at high blood pressure, you also need to note that blood pressure does not remain the same at all times. At certain times, it lowers as one falls asleep and rises when the person wakes up. However, the rise can also occur in conditions like during excitement.
Causes of High Blood Pressure
There are several conditions and habits that may lead one into developing high blood pressure. However, it has to be noted that since people are different, the causes may vary from one to the other. You may find out that a given condition or habit may lead one into getting high blood pressure while the same conditions and habits might not affect the blood pressure of another person.
A variety of the cases of high blood pressure that are reported today are classified as primary hypertension. Also known as essential hypertension, this occurs from unknown causes. However, there are also instances when the condition can be attributed to an underlying problem. In this case, it is referred to as secondary hypertension. Some of the problems that may lead to secondary high blood pressure include conditions like hormonal disorders and even kidney infections. In case the underlying problems can be solved, those whop are faced with secondary hypertension are able to restore their blood pressure back to normal.
Apart from the causes mentioned above, the other common causes of high blood pressure include:
- Overconsumption of alcohol
- Lack of exercises
- Medication especially the use of birth control pills in women.
Symptoms of High Blood Pressure
Based on the seriousness of hypertension, it is always very important that you get to know some of its symptoms. In fact, any delay in seeking medical attention in the event that you have symptoms of high blood pressure may even lead to lose of life. However, one thing that is very unique about high blood pressure is that it does not portray any significant symptoms. In fact, this is one the reasons why it has been dubbed, 'the silent killer.' The best way through which one is able to determine if they have high blood pressure is through undertaking a test to measure the blood pressure.
Some of the common symptoms that those who have high blood pressure are able to portray include:
- Chest pains and shortness of breath
- Nausea and vomiting
One of the reasons why high blood pressure is said to be a silent killer is that it will only show certain signs when it has reached at an advanced stage whereby it shall have damaged several organs within the body. To those who may have acquired chronic high blood pressure, below are some of the symptoms that may be seen:
- Heart failure or heart attack.
- Progressive loss of vision
- Arterial diseases that lead to leg pains among others.
Most of the symptoms of high blood pressure can even take years without showing and so it is always advisable that you attend tests regularly to ensure that your blood pressure is maintained at normal. Remember that over the period that you are having high blood pressure but not yet seen the signs, the condition keeps damaging your body organs.
High Blood Pressure Home Remedies
Changes in lifestyle and natural remedies can help in combating high blood pressure. However, there are also medications that can be offered over the counter or by your doctor as remedies to high blood pressure. However, it is always important that before you begin using any of the remedies, you should consult with your doctor. This is because, there are certain medications that have compounds that you may be allergic to or not good with you based on your condition.
In case you have undergone a test and established that you have got high blood pressure, your doctor will be able to direct you on the remedies that you are able to use based on the condition of your blood pressure. This is because there are those who might be having just mild high blood pressure while there are also others whose conditions might have become chronic. You have to understand that these two conditions need to be approached using different remedies. Remember, you should always consult with your physician in order to get a proper diagnosis and before trying to incorporate these home remedies and herbal remedies yourself! Here are some of the high blood pressure home remedies that you can try.
- Garlic- Several studies and research have shown that garlic can be an effective remedy to those patients with mild hypertension. However, in case you are using garlic supplements to combat high blood pressure, bear in mind that it is recommended for use under the supervision of a medical practitioner. Garlic may also have an interaction with drugs like Coumadin, Vitamin E among others.
- Folic Acid-This is a compound of B vitamin that is known to be very effective in the formation of red blood cells. This may work by lowering the blood pressure through the reduction of the levels of homocysteine.
- Hawthorn– This is a herb that has been used for quite e long time as a remedy to high blood pressure. The herb is administered in the form of supplements to help in lowering the mean diastolic blood pressure.
- Coenzyme- This is a supplement that is mostly known to most people as CoQ10. It has got the ability to reduce both the systolic and diastolic blood pressure.
- Fish oil
- Vitamin C
- Garlic-take garlic and include in your meals everyday. It helps to prevent deposition of plaque in the arteries and to decrease hypertension. You can also eat fresh garlic or add it to hot water and drink. It offers excellent results within a short span of time.
- Honey-mix honey with onion juice and take it regularly. It is considered one of the best and most effective herbal remedy for high blood pressure. Alternatively, add honey to bread, drinking water and tea.
- Exercises– exercises such as yoga including Vajra asana, ardha padma and pranayan are very effective in lowering blood pressure. Whenever you have high blood pressure, consider yogic exercises for quick relief. You can also walk for 45 minutes a day to treat the disease.
- Lime water– it is essential to take 4 to 5 glasses of lime water a day. It treats high blood pressure and helps to prevent hypertension.
- Indian goose berry is also effective in treatment of the disease. Take Amla regularly to bring down blood level and treat the disease effectively.
- Grape juice helps to lower blood pressure. Take grapes in plenty for effective treatment.
- Walking barefoot-it is vital to walk barefoot early in the morning and in green grass. It helps to lower blood pressure and prevent hypertension. This is based on the fact that it boosts blood circulation throughout the body.
- Water melon seeds– dried water melon seeds should crushed and taken on an empty stomach, twice on daily basis. You can eat water melon with its seeds if you do not want to crush them.
- Watermelon and fenugreek seeds also help in the treatment of high blood pressure. Crush the seeds and add the powder to your drinking water.
Apart from just the above mentioned, there are still other remedies that can also be used in addressing high blood pressure. You can always inquire from your doctor on the best one for you in case you are experiencing the condition.
Diet for High Blood Pressure
Dieting is one of the aspects that lead to the development of high blood pressure in a variety of people. This requires that in case you are having the condition, there are certain foods that you need to increase while there are also others that you may need to tone down. It is recommended that the diet of a person who is having high blood pressure should contain lots of vegetables and fruits. However, that should not really worry you since your doctor will be able to give you a dieting plan and even nutritional supplements that you will need to us.
There are also certain foods that are not fairly very good with patients of high blood pressure. Some of those foods include:
- Foods with excess fats as these will agitate the formation of cholesterol in the body that causes obesity.
- A food with too much salt, since sodium is one of the compounds that is able to increase the blood pressure.
The diet of a person who is having high blood pressure should be one that does not aid the increase in weight since obesity is one of the major agitators of high blood pressure. However, you should not hold onto to this reason to deprive yourself a balanced diet. Eat healthy foods but based on the dieting program that is provided by the doctor since each and every patient is given one that matches their condition.
Prevention of High Blood Pressure
High blood pressure is a serious health condition that may come with very dire consequences on a patient. Due to this, it is important that you do anything within your powers to ensure that you are not able to experience the condition. There are several ways through which you are able to prevent high blood pressure. Some of these include:
- Regular exercise
- Stopping smoking
- Reducing consumption of alcohol
- Avoiding fatty foods in order to curb the problem of obesity.
- Consulting a doctor before using medications like the birth control pills among others.
The best way to prevent high blood pressure is to maintain exercises regularly, eat healthy foods and also go for check ups often. By going for medical tests and examinations often, you are able to detect the condition in good time so that you get help before the condition gets chronic. It is also important that you lead a better lifestyle that is free from such habits like overconsumption of alcohol and smoking.
107 total views, 1 views today