High Blood Sugar
Over the past few years, leading a healthy life has become the most elusive thing for people across all walks of life. The sedentary lifestyles and unhealthy eating habits that everyone is falling for isn't making things any easier. Hospital wards are becoming too small for patients, the earth is almost filling up with graves but there are still very little signs of change. One of the health complications that is giving people sleepless nights happens to be high blood sugar. A lot has been said and written about blood sugar, but people are taking very little precautionary measures. Majority of the world's population does not even know where its blood sugar level lies. If you fall into such a category, opening this page is perhaps the most important thing you have done.
Before rushing to the causes, remedies and so forth of high blood sugar, it is important to first of all understand what the ailment is all about. High blood sugar, a condition doctors refer to as hyperglycemia, refers to a temporary condition where the level of glucose in blood rises above normal. It occurs when glucose from food fails to sufficiently enter the cells and thus remains within the bloodstream. Consequently, the blood sugar level rises to alarming levels, a situation that could prove fatal in the long run. High levels of sugar within the bloodstream not only deprive the cells of crucial nutrients but also polarize the blood. This guide will walk you through the various causes of high blood sugar and how you can handle such conditions whenever need be.
Causes of High Blood Sugar
It would be very absurd to try remedying a condition whose causes you do not even understand. Before you even start looking for remedies of high levels of sugar in blood, it is advisable to begin by finding out what exactly causes the condition. There are quite a number of possible causes of hyperglycemia, which include:
- Carbohydrates: It is a widely known fact that carbohydrate foods are the biggest source of sugar for the body. Eating too much carbohydrate thus largely increases the amount of sugar absorbed into the bloodstream. For people suffering from diabetes, the body is unable to quickly convert the sugar into energy, resulting in accumulation. Eating foods with high sugar content, especially confectionery, is a sure way to contract high blood sugar.
- Insulin control: Insulin is a digestive hormone produced by the pancreas to aid in the absorption of sugars. The inability of the body to manufacture sufficient insulin makes it impossible for cells to absorb blood sugar efficiently. This is why people suffering from diabetes melitus often receive insulin injections to boost their absorption of sugars. The trick here will be to maintain a balance between your sugar intake, exercise levels for breakdown and insulin levels.
- Little exercise: Whoever said that proper dieting and regular exercises are the only sure ways to healthy living couldn't have been more right. Engaging your body in regular exercises is very effective in keeping your blood glucose levels in check since muscles break down sugar during physical activity.
- Stress: Research has shown that physical, mental or emotional stress plays a very big role in disrupting one's sugar levels. However, this must never be used as an excuse for pathetic diabetes control.
- Medications: A number of medications such as steroids have a tendency of raising blood sugar levels by limiting absorption.
In addition, some illnesses, infections and at times surgery tend to provoke blood sugar levels to rise considerably over a very short period of time.
Symptoms of High Blood Sugar
It is evident that the possible causes of high blood glucose levels are extremely diverse. This means that it is not going to be easy to know when you are suffering from this condition. However, familiarizing yourself with the symptoms is the surest way of telling whether or not your blood sugar levels could be on the rise. Some of the common symptoms for this condition include:
- Dry mouth that could be proceeded by thirst
- Frequent urination at times even during sleep
- Dry and itchy skin
- Blurred vision
- Drowsiness and fatigue even during early hours
- Increased appetite
- Loss of weight
If hyperglycemia is let to persist for a number of hours, other symptoms could develop. These include:
- Strained breathing
- Dizziness every time you stand
- Increased drowsiness with a feeling of confusion
- Rapid loss of weight
- Unconsciousness or even coma
If you do not do something about these symptoms, high blood sugar could graduate into a more serious condition known as a diabetic coma.
High Blood Sugar Home Remedies
When faced with high blood sugar, everything you have read to this point might not help you much. The most important thing is to find out exactly what you can do to return your sugar levels to a reasonable range. The remedies for hyperglycemia will largely depend on the cause of the condition in the first place. Here is a more in-depth look into handling the various causes of high glucose levels in blood: Remember, you should always consult with your physician in order to get a proper diagnosis and before trying to incorporate these home remedies and herbal remedies yourself! Here are some of the high blood sugar home remedies that you can try.
- Dietary measures– Everyone loves eating a little too much during a feast. Unfortunately, this isn't the luxury that should be afforded to any diabetes prone individual. You will need to work with any registered dietitian to work out a proper meal plan that suits you. You will learn that you can adjust your insulin dosage depending on the adjustments made to the diet.
- Exercises- People suffering from high blood sugar need to become best friends with the gym. The simple logic is that working out gives your body the best possible avenue for disposing the excess sugar in the bloodstream. When the little sugar in the cells is broken down to give energy, a steeper gradient is created between your cell membranes and the blood, easing the absorption of sugar.
- Stress and illnesses– You have already seen how psychological factors such as stress as well as other illnesses can put one at a higher risk of hyperglycemia. Your diabetes health care team should be able to provide you with some way to cope with stress or handle the trauma and after-effects of some other illness. Check your blood sugar levels frequently to get some motivation from how much lowering stress lowers your blood sugar levels as well.
- Diabecon- This is an ayurvedic herbal formation and it contains approximately 33 herbs and minerals. It has undergone numerous clinical studies and proven to be extremely effective in lowering high blood sugar. It increases utilization of glucose and regeneration of beta cells which are found in the pancreas for the purpose of ensuring that blood sugar is controlled.
- Bitter Lemon or Karela- This is another herb that has proven to be extremely effective for treating high blood sugar. You can either take this raw, or alternatively, boil it in water and leave it to steep. Sieve the juice and drink it to reduce high blood sugar.
- Gymnema- This herb has received a lot of attention from different quarters including the medical circles. This is because it is an effective regulator for blood sugar. The Gymnema sylvestre leaves have gymnemic acid molecules. These are similar to the glucose molecule structures and as such, they fill the taste bud receptors found on the tongue. In turn, this prevents sugar molecule activation and also suppresses cravings for sugar. It also ensures that glucose molecules are not absorbed in the intestines and this further lowers the sugar levels. To cap it all, this herbal remedy is also known to help with the stimulation of insulin production by the pancreas and also increases the utilization of sugar thus ensuring that high blood sugar is kept at bay.
- Fenugreek Seeds- This plant has some amazing properties which are essential for lowering levels of high blood sugar.
- Onion and Garlic- These are also used as herbal remedies and this is because they have properties that lower high blood sugar. This should be included in your everyday meals in order to note the desired results.
- Stevia- This is naturally sweet and as such, used as a sweetener in place of sugar and consequently ensures that your condition is kept under control.
It should be clear by now that the remedy you will go for will very much depend on the probable cause. With all these remedies at your disposal, you just can't afford to let your high blood sugar develop to something worse.
Diet for High Blood Sugar
Majority of health complications usually come down to subscribing to not only the proper diet but also healthy eating patterns. From what you have learnt to this point, it should be clear that high blood sugar is not about to be an exception. Some of the diet tips that could help keep your blood sugar levels in check include:
- Eating regular meals: At times, absorption of sugar becomes tricky for the body simply due to very irregular eating habits. Eating too much food at once highly strains the pancreas, compromising the level of absorption that will take place. Insist on taking reasonable amount of food at more regular times.
- Starch intake: Among the middle class of most societies, the intake of carbohydrates is far bigger than that of other foods. Unfortunately, carbohydrates usually contain a lot of sugars that could pose a hyperglycemic threat if the body isn't able to absorb the excess sugar.
To keep your blood sugar level from rising, you can also insist on taking sugar-free and caffeine-free beverages.
Prevention of High Blood Sugar
Prevention is usually the safer option to go compared to treatment. Even with high blood sugar, there are measures you could take to ensure you do not get caught. Some of these measures include:
- Diet plans: Patients suffering from diabetes, who are at a higher risk of hyperglycemia, should always look for a safe low-sugar diet plan from dietitians.
- Physical exercises: To help burn down excess sugars in the bloodstream, regular workouts will be very helpful.
- Insulin drugs: The medical field this day has plenty of insulin pills and injections that could be used to boost insulin levels. Taking an injection prior to attacks is always a good preventive measure.
You can never get it wrong if your embrace these prevention measures, especially with the help of a doctor.
191 total views, 2 views today