If there is one disease that has been a hot debate ever since it was discovered then malaria has to be the disease in every person’s mouth and in books. Malaria is a serious and fatal disease that is mainly caused by a parasite that infects mosquitoes that feed on human beings transmiting the infection. However, with advancing technology and many changes taking place in the medicinal market, it is very easy to prevent the spread of malaria. About thousands cases of malaria are diagnosed in the world on daily basis and a large number of the victims are mainly travelers and immigrants from specific regions where malaria transmissions are prevalent.
From many researches conducted on malaria, about 3.3 billion or half the world’s population lives in areas that are prone to malaria transmission. With the higher number of people young or old suffering from malaria infections, it is a fact that malariais the second leading cause of death from infectious diseases after HIV/AIDs. It is very easy to cure and prevent this condition but it is advisable to seek medical assistance immediately after noticing the signs and symptoms of malaria. There are two mostly used antimalarial drugs that you will come across in many medical institutions and pharmacuetical stores and they are mainly derived from plants. We have the artemisinin that is obtained from Qinghao plant and Quinine that is from the Cichona tree. However, more medicines are being produce and manufactured everyday and so, you should always seek medical assistance always.
Causes of Malaria
It is a graet idea before you visit you physician, you know what really causes malaria. Malaria is a disease that is caused by a parasite and is passed from one person to another by the bite of infected anopheles mosquitoes. It is mainly caused by the plasmodium parasite. There are different types of plasmodium parasites but only few types are known to cause malaria in humans and they include the following:-
- Plasmodium falciparum-this is the main plasmodium parasite that is responsible for the higher number of malaria deaths in most parts of the world.
- Plasmodium vivax- This is parasite that produces less severe signs and symptomns than the plasmodium falciparum, but can thrive in the liver for many years and result to relapses.
- Plasmodium ovale- it is fairly uncommon and found in a few parts of the world. However, it can stay in the liiver for a long duration without producung any symptoms.
- Plasmodium malariae –it is a quite rare parasite that is found in certain parts of the world.
- Plasmodium knowlesi-is the least common and very rare parasite.
After one is infected, the parasites also called sporozoites travel through the bloodstream of the healthy person and into the liver, where they mature and release another form known as the merozoites. These plasmodium parasites multiply inside the red blood cellss and one is likely to experience the first signs and symptoms 10 to 14 days after the infection or after getting a bite from the anopheles mosquitoes, although there are those that take as long as years to occur.
Symptoms of Malaria
The malaria disease is in most cases very hard to determine as they are cases that it will go through long incubation. However, there are many symptoms of malaria that you should know and help you understand the disease. Majority of the symptoms will be experienced 7 days after one is bitten by an infected mosquito. The incubation period of the malaria symptoms will depend on the kind of parasite that is feeding on the infected person. For instance,It will take
- 9 to 14 days to notice the signs for plasmodium falciparum
- 12 to 18 days for plasmodium vivax and ovale
- 18 to 40 days for plasmodium malariae and
- 11 to 12 days for plasmodium knowlesi.
Variation in the symptoms of malaria is common and many people who get infected xwith the condition have the disease in their body but there are no symptoms. These symptoms will become more severe with time depending on your general body health, the kind of plasmodium parasite that you have in your body and whether you have your spleen. Here are the common signs and symptoms of malaria.
- Delirium and confusion,
- General feeling of illness or malaise,
- Dry mouth,
- Enlarged spleen and
- Muscle or back pain.
As you look at these common symptoms of malaria infections, you should also look at the rare signs of the disease that will occur as or lead to impaired function of brain or spinal cord, loss of consciousness and seizures. Therefore, ther are many symptoms of malaria and you should always visit your doctor and find out the main cause of the symptoms.
Malaria Home remedies
If you have been bitten by an anopheles mosquito or you are experiencing symptoms like chills, fever, nausea and vomiting, headache and shivering, there is a possibility that you are infected with malaria. Here are the home remedies that you should try. Remember, you should always consult with your physician in order to get a proper diagnosis and before trying to incorporate these home remedies and herbal remedies yourself!
- Cold Pack– If you experience fever as it is the common symptoms of malaria, you also need to get a cold pack application that will help reduce the high body’s temperature.
- Grapefruit– Grapefruit is another essential home remedy for malaria. You take it on daily basis and it will definitely work due to the fact that it contains natural quinine. You just need to boil the grapefruit and consume the boiled mixture and you will reduce the symptoms of the malaria infection.
- Fever nut plant– Fever nut plants’s seeds are also verty beneficial when it comes to treatment of malaria. You can easily get them in herbal stores. You can consume the fever nut by buying it in raw form and then make powder of it. However, it is advisable that you take the mixture under medical supervision and you will definitely be able to cure the malaria infection.
- Dhatura or Indian Ayurvedic help– Dhatura or Indian Ayurvedic help is another home remedy that you shouled go for in treating malaria. Ypou just need to take two half fleshly sprout leaves and make them into pill form. This is possible by rubbing them with jaggery and take bouts before the onset of convulsion. Hence, this is the easist home remedy to go for.
- Fenugreek seeds– Fenugreek seeds are the other natural cure of malaria that you can go for. You need to include them in your diet and you will defintely emnjoy the benefits. These seeds are essential due to the fact that they are known to enhance the immune levels in the body and also help to fight the plasmodium parasites.
- Lime and Lemon– The other home remedy for malaria to try back at home is by consuming lime and lemon. You need to take about 3 gm of lime and dissolve them into about 60 ml of wate and juice of one lemon. And whenever you feel feverish you can always take this mixture and prevent any other signs of malaria.
- Alum– Alum is the other anti-malarial drug that you should take. You need to roast it over a hot plate and get the powdered form. If you want to prevent or cure symptoms of malaria you can always take ½ teaspoon of the substance especially if you feel feverish.
- Orange Juice and Water Diet– Lastly, on the intial stages of malaria, you need to take orange juice and water diet as they will definitely act as a great home remedy for malaria by enhancing the body’s immune system and also reduce any malarial infection or attack.
- Spanish Needle– Spanish needle is also another exceptional herbal remedy to try. You can use the aerial parts of the plant to treat colds, flu, hepatitis or bacterial infections.
- Cinnamon– Cinnamon is the other essential herbal malaria cure that you can go for. You just need to take 1 teaspoon of powdered cinnamon in a hot water, add pepper and honey and you will undoubtedly get rid of the infection.
- Swertia chirata herb– Those experiencing intermittent malaria should go for the Swertia chirata herb. You need to mix this botanical herb with a glass of water and add cinnamon or cloves and get rid of the malaria symptoms.
- Woolly Woodvine– Woolly woodvine is the other herbal remedy for malaria. You can consume the tea made from the leaves of this plant to treat malaria and any sign of malaria.
- Holy Basil– Holy basil leaves are also an effective herbal cure for malaria. An affected person either needs to chew the leaves or have them in form if a decoction.
Diet for Malaria
You always need to eat a nutritious diet if you are ready to fight infections and also improve your immune system. If you are suffering from malaria, it is advisable that you watch what you eat if you want top get well very soon and start enjoying your normal life. Your malaria diet should include tehe following:-
- Fruits such as orange, grape, papayas, apples and mangois but you should avoid canned fruits.
- Vegetables, seeds, grains and nuts should also be in your diet.
- You need to avoid strong tea, coffee, sugar condiments and any processed and fried foods that you will come across.
Prevention of Malaria
It is very easy to prevent the spread of malaria infections by adopting the best ways to prevent mosquito bites. Here are few ways that you can adopt and prevent malaria spread.
- You need to be aware of the rsik of malaria-You can visit the local physician and get advice on how to prevent malaria especially if you are travelling.
- Prevent mosquito-This is possible by using repellents on your skin and for the sleeping vicinity. You can also wear ligh and loose fitting panst and long-sleeve shirts or use mosquito nets that are properly treated.
- You can take antimalarial tablets and lastly
- Get immediate malaria treatment advice from your doctor.
86 total views, 1 views today