Morning sickness is a condition that is common in pregnant women. It causes pregnant women to experience nausea all the times. In majority of women, the conditions are more severe in the morning, but they become less serious in the course of the day. Nevertheless, this doesn't mean that they can’t reappear at any time of the day. Consequently, many women experience morning sickness at all times of the day, in addition, the severity of morning sickness is different from one woman to the other.
Generally, morning sickness has been proven to affect more than three quarters of pregnant women, in the world and besides, half of pregnant women that are suffering from morning sickness, experience nausea that is responsible for vomiting. Doctors have indicated that, feelings of nausea may start from the first week of pregnancy and get severe within the next one month. Although this is a condition that is predominately perceived to attack women during their pregnancy, that doesn't mean that it should be given less attention, as compared to other types of conditions and diseases that are prevalent on earth.
Causes of Morning Sickness
Every disease and condition that is prevalent in the universe has its own causes, with morning sickness not been an exemption. All in all, there have never been proven causes of morning sickness, which is common in many pregnant women. Doctors and other medical specialists have linked this condition to physical changes that are perceived to be taking places in the bodies of pregnant women. Among these physical causes that doctors and other health specialists have attributed to morning sickness, includes among them.
- Hormones- Hormones have been one of the major causes that are linked to morning sickness. There are a number of hormones that are common in pregnant women that are attributed to this condition. Among these hormones is the Human Chorionic Gonadotropin hormone, all simply referred to HCG. Nevertheless, there has never been any scientific study, proving how exactly this hormone causes morning sickness. But for sure, studies have proved that nausea, which is a key symptom of this condition, tends to be high when the level of HCG is at its peak. Similarly, It has been proven that women experience nausea and vomiting when there are producing more HCG.
- Sensitivity to Smell-This has been the other cause that have been attributed to morning sickness. It is known that, pregnant women are more accustomed to becoming overwhelmed by a variety of smells, as compared to their counterparts who are not pregnant. In addition, there are specific aromas that trigger feelings of nausea by pregnant women.
- Estrogen- This is the other type of hormone that is linked to morning sickness among pregnant women. It is widely know that, it is at its peak during pregnancy. In return, studies have pointed out that, when estrogen is at its peak, women are accustomed to feeling nausea and vomiting more often. In addition, doctors and other health specialists have noted that a combination of this hormone and others can trigger the onset of feeling nausea and vomiting.
- Stomach Disorders- Studies have further proven that, some women develop gastrointestinal sensitivity along their tracts, during their pregnancy. In addition, studies have indicated that some pregnant women who are affected by Helicobacter Pylori, a stomach bacterium, are more likely to experience nausea and vomiting as compared to their counterparts who have not been affected by this stomach bacterium.
- Stress and Anxiety- Stress and anxiety have also been linked to morning sickness. Doctors and other health specialist have noted that women who were subject to stress, anxiety and depression, are more likely to experience nausea and vomiting, as compared to their pregnant counterparts, who are free from stress, anxiety and depression.
- Drugs and Other Chemicals-Drugs and chemicals are also the other cause of morning sickness. It is widely known that, women who are used to taking alcohol and other drugs are at a higher chance of experiencing morning sickness. This is due to the fact that drugs and chemicals reaction inside the bodies of pregnant women have been proven to cause feelings of nausea and vomiting.
- Mood Swings-Women, who regularly experience mood swings, are more likely to suffer from morning sickness when they are pregnant, as opposed to their counterparts who do not experience mood swings. Studies have proven that, mood swings have a role to play in triggering the onset of morning sickness among pregnant women.
Doctors have further stated that are many other causes of morning sickness, which are yet to be known. As stated earlier before, there are no scientific studies that have proved the cause of morning sickness. But this doesn't mean that morning sickness doesn't have a cause, just like any other disease and condition that is prevalent on earth. What makes this condition unique is due to the fact that, it is a temporally one and prevalent among pregnant women.
Symptoms of Morning Sickness
Nausea and vomiting are the most common symptoms that are attributed to morning sickness. This is due to the fact that, there are the most severe symptoms of this condition. Nevertheless, there are other symptoms that are attributed to morning sickness. Among these symptoms of morning sickness includes among them.
- Swollen Breasts-For pregnant women who could be suffering from this condition, swelling of the breasts have been named as one symptom of this condition. This is due to the fact that, after a few weeks from conception, there are hormonal changes that prompts the breasts of pregnant women to become tender than before. Moreover, their breasts may become heavier and fuller than before.
- Increased urination-This is the other symptom that signals morning sickness among the pregnant women. Pregnant women, who are suffering from this condition, might find themselves urinating more frequently than before. This is more common during nights.
- Fatigue-Fatigue has also been termed as the other symptom of morning sickness. This is common during the first weeks of pregnancy. Fatigue has been perceived to be caused by increased hormonal change in pregnant women.
- Craving For Certain Foods-If you are pregnant and you are experiencing a crave for certain foods, among them coffee and other fried foods, and then this is a symptom of morning sickness. The craving for these types of foods can also been linked to hormonal changes that takes place within the bodies of women.
Morning Sickness Home Remedies
There are some simple home remedies that pregnant women, who are suffering from morning sickness can use, in order to curb this condition. Among these home remedies includes among them. Remember, you should always consult with your physician in order to get a proper diagnosis and before trying to incorporate these home remedies and herbal remedies yourself! Here are some of the home remedies that you can try.
- Getting Out Of Bed Slowly-Getting out of bed slowly has been one of the easiest ways that women can use to counter morning sickness. This is due to the fact that, when one gets out of the bed hurriedly, chances are that they will disrupt the fetus. This in return can cause the suppression of hormones that are surrounding it, which in return might prompt the feelings of nausea and vomiting.
- Eating foods that are rich in iron and iodine-It is commonly known that pregnant women have a craving for iron and iodine. This is due to the fact that, they have been proved to eliminate the feelings of nausea and vomiting, which are key symptoms of morning sickness. In this regard, pregnant women are urged to eat more see foods and liver, thanks to their rich content in iron.
- Eating foods that contains ginger-Ginger has also been revered for its effectiveness in suppression of nausea and vomiting. Pregnant women who consume large quantities of ginger are less likely to experience morning sickness, as compared to women who do not consume ginger.
- Performing simple pregnancy exercises– Pregnant women who are suffering from morning sickness have also been urged to embrace simple pregnancy exercises, in order to suppress the feelings of nausea and vomiting, which are among the leading symptoms of morning sickness.
- Ginger: There are just no limits when it comes to using ginger as a natural remedy, a claim morning sickness approves. Ginger tea is one of the most effective ways to ward off morning sickness. Boil 30 g of dried ginger toot in a cup of water for about 15-20 minutes and sip it gradually to get rid of the symptoms. Do not try to crush ginger and take it directly as the symptoms will disappear more effectively when fought gradually.
- Raspberry: Raspberry leaves are popular many pregnancy problems and morning sickness happens to be one of them. Add a1-2 teaspoons of dried raspberry leaf extract to a cup of hot water and sip it gradually all morning. However, make sure you confirm with your doctor as raspberry could trigger contraction of the uterine walls.
- Anise and Fennel: There are a number of spices that could also help you deal with morning sickness. Chewing on anise of fennel seeds can help you soothe stomach upsets that come with pregnancy sickness. These seeds might be rare but they are definitely worth searching for.
- Citrus: Some women have reported that sniffing a lemon slice can actually help with pregnancy sickness. You could also drink lots of water infused with citrus fruits like lemons, oranges and tangerines. If you want to use these remedies it is advisable to buy the fruits and not their industrial juices. You will get better results by mixing the varieties rather than just taking one variety. Some ladies have confessed that sniffing the peels of these fruits could also get rid of common symptoms of morning sickness.
- Teas: You could also remedy morning sickness at home by taking advantage of the medicinal value of a variety of teas. Peppermint and spearmint tea are particularly effective in treating this condition.
Diet for Morning Sickness
Pregnant women, who are suffering from morning sickness, can help reduce the intensity of this condition, by the virtue of consuming certain foods. Among them includes food that are are rich with iron and iodine. This is due to the fact that, they have been proven for having the ability to suppress feelings of nausea and vomiting. Among these foods that are rich in iodine and iron includes, liver and other sea foods respectively.
Pregnant women are further urged to refrain from consuming foods that are rich in fats and sugars. This is because these foods have been proven to accelerate the feelings of nausea and vomiting. Worse still, they can lead to gaining of weight thus inviting more problems.
Pregnant women have further been urged to consume a lot of greens, fruits and vegetables. This is due to the fact that they have been attributed to countering the symptoms that are linked with morning sickness. In addition, they are help pregnant women in staying healthier, till the time they deliver. Drinking tea regularly has also been termed as the other way of countering morning sickness.
Prevention of Morning Sickness
There is no proven way for preventing morning sickness among pregnant women. This is due to the fact that, it is a condition that must be experienced by all women during their pregnancy. The only thing that one can do is to counter the symptoms morning sickness. That one has already been discussed in this article.
88 total views, 1 views today