The best way for you to know that you snore is if your partner starts complaining about it. If it is an occasional snore, then your partner will not mention it again. It only becomes a problem if you realize your relationship is in strains because of your snoring. If your condition keeps your partner awake at night, then it is time for you to seek a solution to it.
There are other signs that you can use to establish if you snore:
- Your snoring is loud and heavy.
- You stop breathing, gasp or choke in your sleep.
- You have trouble sleeping or poor sleep because you cannot breathe well.
- You are fatigued during the daytime although you had plenty of time to sleep at night.
- You are constantly irritable due to lack of enough sleep.
- You fall asleep at the most inappropriate times.
- You have increased health problems.
It is easy to dismiss any of these symptoms and think that your problem will go away by itself. Although this is possible, especially if your condition is brought about by poor sleeping posture, at other times your snoring could be a warning if a more serious health problem. This is why once you have established the cause of your snoring you should continue to monitor your condition to ensure it is remedied.
It is also possible to know the cause of your snoring by observing how you snore. If you:
- Snore with your mouth closed, this could mean there is a problem with your tongue.
- Snore with your mouth open, this may be a condition related to tissues in your throat.
- Snore as you sleep on your back, this could be a mild snoring problem.
- Snore in all your sleeping positions could be a sign your problem is severe and you need medical attention.
If the condition persists, then it is probably time to consult a doctor. The medical practitioner will evaluate your problem and make the correct diagnosis. This may involve you taking with you a home-based sleep test with a portable monitor. You may also have to stay overnight at the clinic. This way, the doctor will better diagnose if it is merely a sleep-related problem, or it is a sleeping disorder like sleep apnea.
Sleep apnea is a very serious life-threatening condition. It is a condition where you have an obstructed breathing causing you to keep waking up in your sleep to breathe again. The symptoms to this problem are mostly the same with any snoring condition. However, it is accompanied by extreme fatigue and sleepiness even during the day. If you suspect that you have this type of snoring condition is best you seek medical attention.