Vervain (Verbena Officinalis)
Vervain (Verbena Officinalis) belongs to the plant family verbenaceae and it is can also be referred to as herb of grace or the holy herb. It is a perennial herb that grows mainly on temperate North America, although it can also be found in Europe, China and in Japan. It has been used traditionally for many purposes. Some communities carried it for general good luck, burned it to attract wealth, was widely used by magicians and sorcerers, and used to pledge mutual faith and also to protect one from witchcraft. Above all, it is a great herbal remedy for many diseases that affects many people in the society. Vervain (Verbena Officinalis) has useful components like alkaloid, bitters, tannins, glycosides and volatile oils that make it a great herb for getting rid of infections. It grows to a yard high with an upright habitus and lobed leaves that are also toothed with delicate spikes that hold the useful mauve flowers.
Vervain (Verbena Officinalis) is very substantial when it comes to taking care of certain conditions. It is a recognized herbal remedy for a number of infections and they include:-
- Vervain can be used to treat brain and nervous conditions such as depression, insomnia, magraine and headaches that are caused by nerves. It can also treat other related diseases like nervous disorders, fits and convulsions and also to take care of nervous exhaustion and debility.
- It is a great remedy for man women who experience conditions such post natal depression, irregular and painful menstruation. One can also use the herb to help increase the follow of breast milk and also promote the onset of menstruation.\
- Those who experience gastrointestinal condition such as acute diarrhea, digestive infections, stomach disorders and digestion problems can also try this herb as it a great cure.
- If you want to cure bladder stones, kidney problems, Vervain (Verbena Officinalis) acts as a great cure for these genitourinary conditions.
- You can also use Vervain to reduce inflammation and related conditions.
- Liver conditions have been affecting many people in the society, but if you have never used vervain before, you can try it as it is a great herbal remedy. It helps cure gallstones, biliary tract complications and liver diseases.
- Children who suffer from parasitic conditions can also use Vervain (Verbena Officinalis) get rid of these worms.
- If you are suffering from respiratory conditions like asthma, whooping coughs, throat conditions, pleurisy and colds can also use this herb to cure these conditions.
- Other condition that can be treated using vervain are rheumatism, skin ailments, hemorrhoids, eczema, ear neuralgia, mouth ulcers and tooth decay to name but a few.
Dosage and Administration
If you decide to use vervain to treat specific infections, then you need to be careful when it comes to the dosage and also how you administer the herb. The dose that you go for should be recommended by your physician. You should not just purchase from your favorite herbal store and us it immediately. You need to read the package and know how you should use. In most cases, Vervain is consumed by mouth especially for sinus infections. You can combine about 36 mg of verbena with 12 mg of gentian root and also 36 mg of elderflower or cowslip three times a day. Additionally, you can also take 20 to 40 ml of the herb per week and you will without doubt delight in the many health benefits it offers. You can also prepare tea of vervain leaves and flowers by adding 1 to 2 teaspoons to a pink of hot water. Three cups a day would be great for you.
The main parts of vervian that are used to make the popular herbal remedy are the leaves, flowering heads, the root of the plant and also the stem. You just need to use these parts when dried or in their fresh for and you will undoubtedly take care of the condition that you may be suffering from.
There are many health benefits of using Vervain (Verbena Officinalis). You can use it for:-
- Painful periods
- Inflammation of the gall bladder
- Nervous breakdown
- Tension and stress
- Flu and
- Colic especially in small kids.
There are no known side effects of using vervain, but if you use it in the wrong manner or overdose it, you should be aware of the following.
- Vomiting and
- Contractions especially if used by pregnant women
106 total views, 1 views today